• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer cases

TheMercinary60

i posted awhile back how i was thinking of getting a deuce and i remember being told to find an air shift but i cant remember the reasons, so i was wondering if you could tell me the problems of having a sprang case now tat ive found one reasonably close and (hopefully) in my price rage and also if it would be possible to replace it with an air shift, and if so how hard that would be

any help is greatly appreciated

poppop

The sprags gave a lot of trouble on the Dueces. When they worked they worked, when they did'nt, well they had to be fixed. That is why the Government swapped them to air shift when rebuild time came or when a sprag quit working. An air shift is a direct replacement with only the air line plumbing to do. Its a heavy job but not hard to do. There are several old posts on removing and replacing the transfer case. try search and see if you can find them.

scooter01922

As poppop said when they worked ok great but when they don't.... You can adjust them fairly easily with 2 people and then they SHOULD work fairly reliably. The good deal with the airshift is when you need front wheel drive (and this is usually when the ___ hits the fan traction wise) you just flip the little dash switch, the happy red light comes on and all is well. With the sprag you just cross you fingers its feeling like working today. The airshift is a direct replacement, its just a matter of turning some wrenches and wrestling the heavy SOB out of there. Good luck on scoring a deuce, don't let the sprag necessarily determine the buy, if its a nice truck, and the price is what you are looking to spend its not a huge dealbreaker.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right below the instrument cluster there will be a switch with a little red indicator light on a Deuce with air-shift.

Rusty nuts

Right below the instrument cluster there will be a switch with a little red indicator light on a Deuce with air-shift.
Not always true. The Deuce I bought had an air switch under the dash so I Assumed it had an air shift t-case only to find out later that the switch operated a valve on a non-military water tank. They just used the same switch. Best way to verify is to crawl under and look at the front of the t-case for the air cylinder just above the front output shaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks