• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Switch for MEP-003A Finally Installed

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally got my transfer switch installed. I purchased a 400-amp Square D four pole manual transfer switch on E-bay, new in the box for a really good price. I mounted it myself, directly under the meter box, a very difficult job for one person with the weight around 300 Lbs. An electrician wanted $1500.00 to wire it in after I had already mounted it and had also run the conduit, so I wired it in myself to save money. The meter box was a Siemens with the meter on the left and the two disconnects on the right. I have 400-amp service, 320-amp meter, which feeds two separate 200-amp panels. I took out a permit for the electric work, had EMC cut off the power and completed the wiring myself. I removed the meter, and then removed the four 4ø cables from the meter to the two disconnects. I ran 4 new 4ø cables from the meter base to the transfer switch and 4 new 4ø cables from the transfer switch back up to the existing disconnects. It was a royal pain working with the 4ø cable and all of the tight bends involved. Since the transfer switch was connected to the service box via PVC conduit, I also ran a ground wire to the transfer switch to ground it. I had previously run 2-inch conduit 125 feet from the transfer switch around the garage and terminated into a box with a pin and sleeve connector with 2ø cable. I had to bury the conduit 18 inches deep and navigate pipes, drains, tree roots and go under a sidewalk. I plug an SO cable into the connector from my trailer-mounted MEP-003A. I may get a second GenSet for a permanent installation later. My current setup is a whole-house installation, and the MEP-003A is strong enough to handle my geothermal head pump, etc. without coming anywhere close to overloading the generator. I had labels engraved that indicate the switch positions on the transfer switch and also have directions on how to hook up and start the GenSet, in the event it is needed and I am elsewhere.

I passed both the County and EMC inspections without difficulty, although I had to do some convincing to get EMC and the county inspector to agree to let me do the work without any electricians involved. Although I did this work myself, I would not recommend others doing this without experience.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really exceptional workmanship. I put a little neon indicator lamp on my incoming power so I would know when utility power was restored.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent work Gary. Good looking installation, and quality workmanship.

I know exactly what you mean about the 4/0 wire being a PITA to work with, but always remember this....4/0 is the small stuff. I have to work with circuits requiring multiple 600 MCM wires per phase!!!!! So it could always be worse.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks nice, is that Square D switch standard or heavy duty?

Ike
I'm not certain whether the Square D transfer switch was standard or heavy duty. I contacted Square D for information on torque values and they told me that my transfer switch was supplied as a 'special order only'. As massive as everything is, including the gauge of the steel enclosure, I suspect it is rated as heavy duty. Also, when the EMC people came out they told me that they had never seen a transfer switch that big at a residence before.

By the way, the EMC people and the County Inspector spent about an hour looking at my Deuce before departing.

Last edited: