• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer/Transmission cross member attach bolts/spacers

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All,
Been stripping the M1009 frame down for powder coating and was wondering what the purpose of the spacers on the cross member attach bolts are.
I at first thought it was a mistake . However after consulting the TM parts manual it shows them . And also I was wondering why the r/h set is on top and l/h is on the bottom. If someone could shed some light I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Attachments

87cr250r

It gives the bolt a longer grip length. It makes it so the bolts are less likely to loosen or break. The grip length is the distance between the head of the bolt and the first engaged thread. The longer the grip length the less strain the bolt sees for any displacement that occurs.

Think about tightening head bolts vs lug nuts. Even though the torque is the same, the longer head bolt takes a lot more effort to tighten or loosen due to the difference in grip length.

If you ever have a problem bolt that loosens or breaks, use a longer bolt with spacers. This is especially true for exhaust manifolds.

bl71236

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It gives the bolt a longer grip length. It makes it so the bolts are less likely to loosen or break. The grip length is the distance between the head of the bolt and the first engaged thread. The longer the grip length the less strain the bolt sees for any displacement that occurs.

Think about tightening head bolts vs lug nuts. Even though the torque is the same, the longer head bolt takes a lot more effort to tighten or loosen due to the difference in grip length.

If you ever have a problem bolt that loosens or breaks, use a longer bolt with spacers. This is especially true for exhaust manifolds.
Hadn’t thought of that. Makes sense. Thanks for the fast reply and insight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks