• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Bolts - What am I missing?

houdel

I was crawling around under the Deuce today doing some PM, and discovered a bolt hole with no bolt on the rear of my transmission. The bolt hole is just to the left of the countershaft rear bearing cover, but it does not appear to be one of the cover bolts.

It appears to be a 3/8" fine thread (the cover bolts are 3/8" coarse thread). I poked a smaller diameter bolt in the hole, it went in about 1" and hit a hard stop but I couldn't get close enough to see if it was a blind hole or not.

There does not appear to be any trans oil leaking out this hole, but the threads were clean and shiney with no crud on them at all, as though the bolt had just been removed.

I'm clueless and the transmission TM doesn't give enough detail of this area to be of any help. Does anyone know what goes in this bolt hole or should I just put a short bolt in there and let it be? BTW, this is an English built 3053 tranny, NOT a 3053A.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is in fact a blind threaded hole at the end of the reverse idler gear shaft. It’s for disassembly purpose only, that way you can pull it out with the help of a 3/8”x 24 bolt and a puller. I've found a few trannys with a short bolt in place. It's not a bad idea to protect those threads from corrosion for the day you need it. I just fill it with grease.

Gerhard

Jones

He's right. We screw a slide hammer into the hole and it makes short work of pulling the shaft for rebuild. Also a good idea on screwing a bolt into it to protect the threads.

houdel

Thanks Gerhard & Jones. I assume then that the reverse idler gear shaft has a flat milled on it and is retained by that funky tab that sticks out on the left side of the countershaft rear bearing cover. I think I'll put a short bolt in the hole to protect the threads, I just hate the thought of those threads getting gunked up and then needing to use them some time!

By the way Gerhard, I just love those great illustrations you include in many of your postings. Tremendous artwork, you must be a CAD Master!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Lee! I wish I had time and patience to learn CAD, and than a reason and time to use it often enough to not forget everything again! What you see is just beginners PAINT, the next step after pencil and straight edge…, but it helps.

Gerhard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks