• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Fluid In Air Intake Canister M923

glj

Banned
Purchased "perfect" M923. Put about 300 miles on it and it functions perfectly. Then another 600 miles non-stop (well, 300 plus 300), and upon arriving home I noticed a puddle of oil under the air intake canister the next morning. I checked the trans fluid level (appears to be motor oil) was high; quite a bit so. I should have checked all levels before driving it one mile, but after putting the initial cumulative 300 miles on it (20-50 miles at a time), each night I parked it in my big garage there was not a drop of oil on the floor, even after sitting a week. But after two days of 300 miles at 50 mph, next morning I get the puddle. Opened the canister and filter is OK. But noticed the oil was draining into the canister from the air intake stack. Am I correct in assuming this is due to too much oil in the transmission? Fluid light yellow, smells normal. Is there an aspiration device whereby I can lower the fluid level.

Regards,

glj

TacticalDoc

I have oil leaking from the same place (air filter box). I haven't checked my trans fluid yet because I'm away from home but get back Monday.
I also heard this can be caused by over filling the gas tank which over flows into the Transfer case and increases its level.

did your leak stop after decreasing the trans level?

If oil is leaking out water can get in if you go in deep water

So, what did you do to seal the air filter canister?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have oil leaking from the same place (air filter box). I haven't checked my trans fluid yet because I'm away from home but get back Monday.
I also heard this can be caused by over filling the gas tank which over flows into the Transfer case and increases its level.

did your leak stop after decreasing the trans level?

If oil is leaking out water can get in if you go in deep water

So, what did you do to seal the air filter canister?
I was reading this thread because I was curious about the problem and solution. While I don't have anything to add regarding the solution, I think it is almost Impossible for any overfilling of the fuel tank to affect the transfer case in anyway. I am not sure how fuel from the tank would get the t-case...or vice versa.

rangereter

[h=2]
[/h]
What might have happened is that the fuel tank had been overfilled at some point and the fuel got "vacuumed" into the transfer case and subsequently (after overfilling the t-case with diesel) was "vacuumed" into the air filter housing via the vent circuit. Remove the t-case fill level check plug and see if there is a couple of extra gallons of lube in it.
Regards, Bob​

TacticalDoc

I did some research on SS and that's what someone said

What might have happened is that the fuel tank had been overfilled at some point and the fuel got "vacuumed" into the transfer case and subsequently (after overfilling the t-case with diesel) was "vacuumed" into the air filter housing via the vent circuit. Remove the t-case fill level check plug and see if there is a couple of extra gallons of lube in it.
Regards, Bob

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some research on SS and that's what someone said

Regards, Bob
I never heard of that, but I guess that is possible. Thanks for the additional explanation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks