• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Fluid...NEED help please advise

wsucougarx

Good afternoon gentlemen. I have got a dilemna. I went made my second inspection trip today and fell in love with a deuce. Everything looked outstanding....well all except one thing. I checked all the fluids-oil,axle differential fluids, transfer case,brake fliud, and finally the transmission. All the fluids were absolutely pristine, a nice golden honey color even the oil except the transmission fluid. When I went to check the fluid it ran out like whole milk. As you can see from the photo it is a creamy color. Please tell me that this is somekind of gear oil....if it is water in the transmission fluid I have one question....how? How in the world does water get in there. I am perplexed b/c of the condition of the truck and the other fliuds. Please advise. Should I still buy the truck and use somekind of detergent to clean the tranny out? Are there any options? Thanks

Here are some photos of the fluid:

That looks like emulsified water/oil to me. With quite an amount of water, IMO.
But normally the deuce tranny is quite waterproof. The only opening I can think of where water can enter it is through the gear lever hole on top if it, expecially when the rubber boot is missing or in a bad shape. If the truck sits in the rain without a top water can run along the gearlever right into the transmission.
Another scenario would be that the truck was submerged in water.
The only way to tell if it was bad for the tranny would be to drain it and take the top cover of the transmission off, which is no big deal. Inspect for corrosion.
Otherwise, if it's ok, drive it.

Ahh, and check the inside of the valve cover (finger and visually) and the bottom of the oilfiller plug for emulsified water in the engine oil (even if it looks good in the first glance), it probably has been changed and not run since then, because engine oil gets cloudy pretty fast when the enginge runs.

Mark

wsucougarx

I inspected the bottom of the engine, I looked inside of the engine block and it was absolutely pristine. I reviewed my photos of the inside of the truck and did notice that the rubber shifter boot was approx and inch above where it should be. So basically the bottom of he boot was not secured in the recessed area of the stick...no seal. So I can see how water got in there now.

I also just remembered that the clutch pedal had about 3 to 4 inches of free travel before I felt resistence. Does this mean anything?

kurtkds

Have you put a bid on one of those that are up for auction right now? I see that they have another one coming up on the 19th looks pretty rough though.

wsucougarx

I did but I think I'll just hold out this time around. The one going for the most is the one w/the water in the tranny:-( People obviously did not inspect the truck. The second highest needs both doors replaced the windshields both need replacing and the radiator is all rusted out.

Any idea how long the EUC takes these days?

Well hey looky here, it appears SS has promoted me to Corporal. How about my present military rank SS? (O-3, Navy LT :D )

kurtkds

I put my request in on the 1st of Aug.

Had to do a correction on the EUC paperwork (my mistake) that was on friday (8- 8 ) that I found out about that and resubmitted yesterday (monday) Got another email in the afternoon requesting that I fill out the "Export Supplement" form. Filled out that this morning and faxed it off. Plus I had to scan and send vial email a copy of my DL the faxed copy wasn't good enough.

I now have a contact person along with email addr.

I did call AZ. on friday morning and was told that they would contact me by email 5-7 working days after receipt of the original EUC application .

So Word of advice that has been stated before on other posts... Stay on top of GL.