• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission fluid

drjconley

i am getting conflicting info on tranny fluid for a 5 ton multi fuel tranny. some are saying to use 10 wt oil, which some say is the same as hydrolic fluid. some say to use 80 to 90 wt oil. which is gear oil. some say to use tranny fluid, which i assume is just tranny fluid. is there a general consensus regarding the choice of fluid for a manual 5 ton tranny.

jim

m139h2otruck

All gear boxes (three rear ends, transfer case and transmission) on the 5 tons use gear oil, GL-1, per the lube oil manual. I have used GL-5 with the correct ML rating for bronze parts in the transmissions. The lube order should be on here under the Resources section for downloading.

drjconley

the use of gear oil in the tranny is ok, but i dont understand the gl-5 with the ml rating statement. sorry for my ignorance. i usually only have to be told once or twice before it sinks in.
thank you for the help,
jim

m139h2otruck

In the past, some gear oils with ratings greater than GL-1 contained additives that would "eat" brass and bronze parts in the transmissions or transfer cases. Most if not all "modern" GL-5 gear oils contain the correct additives so it is OK to use with bronze/brass part. You still should check. I have used Amalie 80-90 GL-5 oil with no problems.