• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission model questions

Swervin

I took a busted 5053A transmission out of my truck, and I've been calling around to local junk yards and truck places looking for a new one, and one place said they have a 6453. Will this transmission fit, or is it for a five ton? What's the difference between the two? I think I read somewhere that the 6453 is an overdrive transmission, what differences would I notice between the two?

I'm just hoping this one'll work, since it's fairly close to me, it'll save some drive time picking it up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't think so, If you can put it in gear and spin the front, see how many times the output spins. I'm perty sure it is NOT O.D.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
6453 means 600 ft lbs rated, 5 = 5 speed, 3 = overdrive. no way it would ever fit, it is huge in comparason. rebuild yours, it is very simple and parts are cheap. by the way, you have a typo or misread the label, yours is a 3053 and you will only find one from a 2 1/2 ton mil truck as that is the only place they were ever used.

Swervin

Yep, that was a typo, it is a 3053A that I took out.

The 6453 is at Trumps Trucks in Kahoka Missourri, 1-877-238-7409.

Where can I get parts to rebuild one? It was ran without oil, and there's some damage to the top shaft. All the gear teeth look ok, but the smallest gear towards the front on the top wont spin freely anymore, it spins a little when you spin it by hand, then catchs, wobbles, and stops. The metal on the shaft where that gear sits is "smeared" a little. Is this a good candidate for a rebuild?

ETA: Here's a picture of the area I'm talking about:
http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=transmissionew2.jpg

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if it was run without oil you will end up replacing almost all the parts. used trans in good condition goes for $250, find one near you as they weigh 220 lbs

Swervin

m-35tom said:
if it was run without oil you will end up replacing almost all the parts. used trans in good condition goes for $250, find one near you as they weigh 220 lbs
That's what I figured, anyone know a place in Iowa or surrounding states that'd have one?