• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission not shifting into gear

Dancepoolboy

I have just acquired a 1952 M43 in immaculate condition. Even though it has sat for 20+ years, I just put a little oil in the cylinders, changed all the fluids, put a couple batteries in and a can of gas and it fired after a couple cranks. I am impressed.

The transmission, however, will shift into any gear, but when put in gear it will kill the motor as soon as the clutch engages. I took the jack-shaft off and can freely spin the transmission with the clutch disengaged, but when it is in gear, again, I cannot get it to turn. Any ideas of what might cause it? what to look for?

TGP (IL)

Sounds like the trans. is in two gears at one time, due to the shift rails out of alignment.
Some one probably forced the shifter into two gears. Not hard to do if it has a worn shifter.
Need to pull the top cover off for a look.
Better get a TM before you start. It can be tricky if your not sure of what your doing.
Tom

kdaniels

Tranmissions in these truck are easy fixes....don't let it get you down. Sounds like you have a keeper.

SEMPER FI !!

keith

Last edited:

Dancepoolboy

TGP

The transmission was stuck in two gears; the 3rd and 4th shift fork was bent (wide) allowing me to "shift" into each gear position, but the gear just stayed in third gear. It was an easy fix and now shifts just fine. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks