• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission oil cooler valve?

purple_duckk

I had some transmission cooling issues and I thought the transmission oil cooler might be plugged so I removed the coolant lines from the radiator side and it seems to flow coolant from the surge tank out no issues. The radiator seems to be flowing out to it no issues either and the engine isn't overheating. I've changed the coolant, engine and transmission oils and changed the transmission pan filter. Then I noticed this odd little valve on the transmission oil cooler line and it was closed. What is this? I looked in the TM 9-2320-272-20-1 section 5 and the drawings there don't have it as a valve, only an elbow. Is this to bleed air out of the oil line? If I don't bleed it could that cause an air lock that would explain the tranny oil not cooling? I'm kind of at my wits end trying to figure out why it is overheating.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that is the Transmission oil sample port. The military uses lab analysis on its oils to determine maintenance intervals.

There is usually a tube /barb fitting to push a hose on that appears to be missing from the petcock fitting on yours.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had some transmission cooling issues and I thought the transmission oil cooler might be plugged so I removed the coolant lines from the radiator side and it seems to flow coolant from the surge tank out no issues. The radiator seems to be flowing out to it no issues either and the engine isn't overheating. I've changed the coolant, engine and transmission oils and changed the transmission pan filter. Then I noticed this odd little valve on the transmission oil cooler line and it was closed. What is this? I looked in the TM 9-2320-272-20-1 section 5 and the drawings there don't have it as a valve, only an elbow. Is this to bleed air out of the oil line? If I don't bleed it could that cause an air lock that would explain the tranny oil not cooling? I'm kind of at my wits end trying to figure out why it is overheating.
Are you getting your transmission temp from the gauge or an infared gun?

purple_duckk

And what is the temperature?

Does it have 15w40 still in it or ATF?
I stop and let it cool down if it gets over 250. The one time I let it get much higher than that I had no speed even on flat ground. That was on my ride home after picking it up. I changed the oil, filter, and pan filter since then and haven't let it get that hot again. It had 15w40 in it and that's what I replaced it with.

purple_duckk

What are your IR gun temps on the coolant hoses running to/from heat exchanger? Just trying to verify coolant flow….
The coolant hoses are silicone and the coolant sure seems to be able to flow both to the overflow tank and from the radiator. That makes me think it's a flow issue in the oil line from the tranny to the cooler or back from the cooler to the tranny. I saw that valve and hoped it might lead me to an easy solution.

My next step I guess will be to remove the oil lines from the cooler and see if the oil passages flow, then figure out a way to test each line going to the tranny.
I would assume a clogged pan filter would look a lot like this. But since I changed that, I would have to believe the clog would be either in the pickup line or the return line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks