• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission problem- will not drive...

camdensc

I picked up my 1986 M1008 from Fort Jackson this week, and after some help and advice from several of the members, I was able to get it started. Thank you!.

I tried to go for a test drive, but when I shift to Drive, the engine just revs. I tried shifting to the low gear, in-and-out of drive, etc. but no luck. I moved the shifter on the transfer case from 2wd to N to 4wd, but that did not help either. I even moved the hubs between lock and free.

I have no transmission experience. Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot for the cause of the problem?

Thank you.

mangus580

Have you tried the transfer case in low range?

Crazy stupid question... but you DO have driveshafts, right? rofl

Have you checked the fluid level in the tranny? (remember... its supposed to be checked hot, and while running)

Wolf.Dose

Hey,
did you check the trans oil level? The Army has to drain the due to the environment policy. However, you have to check the fitting of the trans oil pan. If not fixed propperly, you need a 10 mm nut to fix the bolts to the propper torque. Check the presance of the coark seal. If missing your truck is an oil spray can. Check the oil pan of the trans for any drilled hole, for this is the most easy way to drain the trans! So far the distance diagnoses with 200000 miles on a M1009 with the same trans. Is there some oil in the tranfer? Did you check the propper engine oil level? The engine still runs with only 2 liters of oil in the pan, however you have a dry dip stic!
Wolf

camdensc

I do have a drive shaft, it was secured up to the exhaust with a belt, but a installed a new u joint and fixed that problem. I filled the engine oil, and coolant, checked the brake fluid and power steering, but did not check the tranny fluid levels. I will do that in the morning, but to check it hot, I guess I will just let it idle for a bit.

You mention a hole in the trans pan? Is it common to to do this before decomissioning the vehs?

mangus580

Wait a second... you mean there was no engine oil, or coolant?

You should see 'something' on the dipstick if it has fluid in it...

I bet you have no fluid!

Wolf.Dose

To drain the trans it is the most easy way to drill a hole in the oil pan and let the oil run into a somewhat siutable container. This procedure is standard for the US Army for surplus vehicles since at least 10 years in Europe. For the transfer they usually take out the drain plug to bleed it (for due to the protecting cover it is to difficult to drill a hole in the alu case of the transfer). If you are lucky, they reinstalled it.
Wolf

dunedigger

In my experience with a chevy trans it seems to be an 1/8 th inch above the add line for tranny fluid when cold. You won't be able to check it hot until it's been driven. I assume your linkage is all ok? As in you can hear it clicking into the gears? My buddy had a blazer he called me over to look at and I laughed pretty good at him. His tranny was ok but in drive the driveshaft was spinning, it was the rearend that was bad. I had him put it in 4wd and drive with the front axle to get it back in the garage.

camdensc

I just went out in the rain to check the tranny fluid level. Dry as can be........ Well I feel like an idiot now :oops:. I did check for holes in the pan, there are none. All of the linkage looks entact, and I had tried shifting into 4 high and 4 low earlier.

Should I do any type of PM on the tranny before I fill up the fluid to test it, or should I refill the fluid to make sure it is working, then take it apart and change out any gaskets, filters, etc?

Thank you.

Crash_AF

If it's empty, I'd put a filter and new gasket on it since dumping the oil out is the worst part of the deal. (that said, I'd make sure to expect fluid in the pan when you remove it since Murphy likes playing pranks like that)

I find it odd that the tranny was empty but the engine was full... hope it's not the sign of a bum tranny. I would also pull the upper plug on the T-case and check the fluid level (and the diffs too while you're under there).

Later,
Joe

camdensc

Thank you everyone for the help! I changed out the filter and gasket, filled up the fluid, and it works like a champ. Thank you again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks