• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transmission question

Wyattearp

Okay fellas, i have everything loose to drop the tranny except one thing and im not sure if i need remove it or not but does the shift lever come off either by a pin holding it in or by another method.... Im still learning about this truck as i get deeper in grease LOL...
I think the spicer uses the ball set up on top, am i correct, and im guessing there is a pin to remove it.

:banghead: its the small stuff that will drive a man whacky.

jasonjc

Yes there is a bolt at the bottom of the shaft you should be able to see it if you take the tran tunnel cover off. That also lets you get to a lot of the bolts easy.
jason

Wyattearp

Jason I appreciate it, as im still learning about this vehicle and its parts, I did see a pin but well i figured i would ask before i assumed and made an A$$ out of myself by breaking something, I have the cover off all the way to the firewall so easy access.

Thanks

Wyattearp

just got back in due to darkness, after further inspection and pulling the shifter boot up further revealed nut and bold, shifter is off....

Wyattearp

After further inspection of dropping the tranny, i have decided to pull engine and tranny as one that way i can get at the tranny for new fluid and maintenance if need be.

Would it make better since to remove the winch from the front first as to give more room? I believe my winch is shot anyways on the clutch (in/out) side when putting in gear oil it leaked out on the bottom of the cylinder and onto the ground i don't think thats normal.

Any words of wisdom from the OD crew?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling the winch buys you some necessary room. If you're radiator is still in get a thin piece od masonite or panelling to slide inbetween the radiator and winch when pulling the winch. One slight bobble and you will need radiator repair. For balance purposes, if the radiator is still in, pull the powerpack as a unit. I find it much easier to balance when you pull it with the rad and trans attached. Your mileage may very!

Wyattearp

I agree i decided to pull the winch Kenny, the radiator has been removed earlier, that is one piece i don't need to buy, plus i got a used one from cranetruck a week or so ago, just need to take them both and have them boiled out and have the casing around them resodered.
I should be okay then after the winch is out to proceed with removal. Would you happen to know anything about winches, i know that putting gear oil in the clutch side it runs out the bottom of the drum, I think i have a gasket or something gone.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've not taken the little winch apart but if its like thr 20,000# winches on the 5 tons, should be fairly straight forward. I would hold out on putting it back in when the trucks is back together. The dog clutch side should be pretty easy to find and fix the problem.

mangus580

Winch on the deuce is REALLY simple. I found out the hard way, when I got the cable stuck on the wrong side of the drum, due to broken top/back plates. :banghead:

I do need to some day take mine apart again, as the brake for the drum needs to be replaced. Anyone got one? As well as the two plates? (made new ones out of heavy channel for mine) Did you know that the winch will pull the chain right through them? :banghead: if you dont get it stopped in time?

Wyattearp

I found out this evening, I removed the winch, the clutch side (in/out lever) fell off, not sure what the problem is but i don't think it should have fallen off the spindle or am i wrong, and nope the winch isn't going back on until i get it fixed and then i may not put it on then, just depends on my needs, plus that lightened up that front end.
[^] the moose bumper or should i say deer smacker is still on the front, that ain't coming off.

SixBuy

There's a good exploded view(s) of the winch in chapter 16 of TM9-2320-361-34P. The tie rod and channels are supposed to hold the ends together until you remove them and the locknut. If y'all find a source of winch parts let me know. I tracked down Garwood winches to two sources, Sam Winer Motors and Garwood/Feller in St. Marys, GA but haven't found a ,odel number on mine yet.

Wyattearp

Well i being unfamiliar with winches wasn't sure if that was supposed to come off like that or not, it may just be a simple put it back together and bolt it back in the housing on the bumper, Im unsure.
I to noticed that Sam winer has the winches but as far as model, there are several different numbers on the winch but i think those are casting numbers for the different parts, ie... housing