• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transporting through Canada

800summit

I was wondering if I bought a military vehicle in the states, say off of ebay , Is there any problem driving the vehicle through Canada to Alaska where I live. Or would it be better to have it Shipped. For that price I probably could buy a couple rigs. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call US Customs nearest you and explain what you may want to do. They will help you with the right information.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Not an expert, but I'd think surplus trucks would be cheaper in Alaska than down here - less competition.

Regards,
David

DanMartin

I've driven that route (the other way...down from Alaska)...let me tell you this: The vehicle should be in tip-top shape, carry extra fuel and several extra tires. Carry enough food and clothing to spend at least one night broken down. Also, check in at the local RCMP stations, tell them where you are going and when you expect to get to the next station...that way if you go missing they know.

Also, fuel is more expensive in Canada, so be prepared for that.

You are *really* out there in the wilderness on the al-can hwy once you get up past central B.C. Little mobile phone reception past there, and almost none once you get into the Yukon territories. Plus you are basically crisscrossing the continental divide for a good part of that trip.

I learned these lessons first hand...be prepared.

BTW: It was one of the most beautiful drives I've ever done....also some of the scariest moments. Imagine pushing snow with your front bumper on the highway...and there's *no* other tracks on the road in either direction, with another 100 miles to go before the next fuel stop (that you hope is still open for the season).

Oh, and Canadians are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Saved my butt at least twice. Wonderful country, wonderful people. Prepare for an adventure.