• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tree down, on generator power now

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today around 5pm a tree came down on the main road that took out the power line and damaged a couple of poles. Decided to pull out one of the MEP1030s to see how they work in real life. They worked great on the load bank.

about an hour in and the generstor kicked off. Looked at the screen and it shutdown on overheat. the belt broke. Ok, back to ole reliable MEP803. Ran for a few hours longer and the update was not good. Power won’t be back anytime soon. I didn’t want to run the 803 with no real load all night so I went over and got the other 1030 that i use for the off grid property. I checked the belt first and it looked to be ok. It’s out purring away in the yard now.

Tomorrow I will if I can get a couple belts locally. Don’t want to be left wanting over a simple,thing.

2024-08-15 18.52.59 (large).jpeg2024-08-15 18.59.11 (large).jpeg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a new belt installed. The "metric" version of the belt wasn't available but the imperial version was available at O'Rileys. The number I bought was 3VX350 for $25. You can get the belts cheaper online but if you need one RIGHT NOW, you can go this route.

The job requires only a 10mm socket, ratchet and extension.

2024-08-16 11.38.33 (Large).jpg

Remove the engine cover on the end opposite the control panel, 10mm bolts. Loosen them, don't remove them. The cover slides up and then removed.

2024-08-16 11.38.42 (Large).jpg
2024-08-16 11.39.10 (Large).jpg

I didn't have to remove the old belt. It had removed itself already.

Loosen both alternator bolts. The one you can see through the open cover and the one at the top on the adjuster bracket. I originally started with a wrench but a socket and ratchet work better here around the bracket.

2024-08-16 11.41.04 (Large).jpg

Install the new belt and tension it by pulling on the alternator at the top along its bracket.

2024-08-16 11.45.08 (Large).jpg

I started it and let it run for a few min to seat the belt. This will normally loosen it a little (it did). After shutting it down I re-tensioned the belt and ran it for 20 more minutes to monitor engine operating parameters. All normal.

You can see in this photo that after the belt ran in a few min that it needed to be tensioned. This is too much movement. Hope this helps!

2024-08-16 11.46.19 (Large).jpg

Ray70

I've used this place several times for belts for everything from band saws, snow blowers, backhoe etc.
Some as cheap as $5 each.
No good in an emergency or for 1 or 2 belts after shipping cost, but definitely worth checking out is you need several belts for a project a few days later in the week!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks