• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip Report Korea 2009

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Well, for those that didn't know, I've been outta the US for the last few weeks. Had one of my folks in a hospital and finally got them home late last week. Won't go into anything other than that for patient confidentiality.

So I had 2 weeks in Korea and had an opportunity on one day to go to the Korean War Museum. I've been to numerous museums in my lifetime but gotta say this is one of the best. Inexpensive, nice building, well maintained, and what I consider unprecedented access to many of the vehicles. Several had their hatches open and in every case you could walk right up to them and do the touch and feel. Granted there are many other museums with more spectacular weapons, such as Sinsheim in Germany, but many of these museums keep the exhibits at arm length and don't know of any that allow you to get inside some of the vehicles.

Here are just a few of the photos. Btw, I am planning on providing these to David Doyle for his use so please don't use these photos without permission in any books or other websites. I shot over 200 photos but can't put all of them on here so here are just a few.

Updated to id the vehicles
Kaytusha rocket truck. I think this is the 122mm version
The Korean version of our Abrams. I think it;'s called the K1. This specific display you could pay 500won (about 35 cents) and the turret went back and forth, the gun went up and down, the tracks went around, and it made engine and cannon/machine gun noises. The Rheinmetall engine pack is displayed behind the tank. Really need display. You can see the mounts under the tank that keep it in the air so the tracks spin.
M4A3E8 Sherman
Scorpion
LVTP3
Their version of our M35
Their version of our M211
M16 halftrack with the maxon mount removed
Jap 77mm mountain gun
Russian motorcycle

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice, thank you for sharing.

The Toyota "deuce" is interesting, the ARVN used quite a few of those too.

If you can't post all 200, any chance of talking you into just a few more??;-)

Cheers

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Some more. BTW, I ruined a pair of jeans and a nice sweatshirt getting under some of these vehicles. I figured a lot of people have pictures of the front, side, and rear. Fewer have interiors and roofs. Even fewer have pictures of the underside.

Tried to edit to put captions but couldn't so here's what it is to the best of my recollection

interior of M16 halftrack (the maxon mount was missing
air boat
Italian armored car I believe
underside of armored car
M26
M48
M110
Scorpion
SU85
P51

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, they had a mix of stuff from everyone, USA, USSR, looks like Brittish stuff too? Thanks Carnac!