• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Shirleys Surplus...

alphadeltaromeo

Clinto, rdixiemiller, rmgill, rmgill's friend, my son and I took a road trip to Shirleys Surplus in Barnsville, GA today. We had a good time looking over a wide variety of stuff for sale. One of the most interesting thing that we saw was a modification to a deuce. It's a rather simple design, but definitely effective for the most part. Pics posted below:

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

even more pics...

Attachments

poppop

Most of the trucks look like they hav'nt moved in a while. Are they running trucks or is he selling parts? What kind of prices does he have on them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, here are my pics. The first few are of a deuce we saw on the way down there. They want $3500 for it supposedly, but some guy yelled at us and said $4K, so who knows.

The on the way to lunch (Wendy's as usual rofl ), we saw this 5 ton tractor and trailer for sale. Truck looked good, no price seen, I have shown the phone # so if anyone is interested.....

The last pics are of what I got. An NOS tire chock (you can see the bag that the chain was still in), a bracket to mount a rubber tire chock to the side of bed, a few of the small clamps to mount some additional round mirrors on my west coast mirrors, a fire extinguisher bracket (in fresh CARC no less :D ) and some spotlights that I am going to use as reverse lights or cargo lights (haven't decided).

And got Joel some goodies he needed.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, you dog! I've been searching high and low for 2 of those lights. the ole M108 came with 3 when new, mine has one. Shewt! If you find 2 more, think of me!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool! Ok I suppose Shirley want stoo much, but someone must be buying them, or perhaps he has no pressure at all to sell anything. Is that a WWII German marking on the 5-ton's air cleaner at the other location?

rdixiemiller

Those trucks were all there 3 years ago when I was looking for a deuce. He moved a bunch towards the back of the property, but the only trucks he has sold that I know of are 1 deuce, 1 900 series 5 ton, and 1 10 ton tractor. He doesn't have any new trucks except the deuce that has had the dump bed put on it. He wants 5K for a basic deuce, 7500 for a winch truck with a dropside. I doubt any of them would start on the batteries that were in them.
I asked about a winch kit, 1400 complete PTO to hook. 1500 for a multifuel in the can.
The trucks will probably sit there until they rot down, he doesn't seem to want to come down on any prices.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many engines in cans do you think he has? Are they all takeouts or are any rebuilt? Do you know if there are turbo's and accessories or just bare blocks? LD's,LDT's or LDS's?
Just curious, I need a reason to drive a deuce down south sometime!

alphadeltaromeo

I'd say 15-20 or so...that's just a guess. Didn't ask about the status of them, but he did say he started each of them up in the can. That's not all that revealing though. Sorry for not asking *grin*. I don't think he's selling the trucks often at all as rdi commented. I think he's making his money selling smaller mil items in very large quantities. He was describing a customer who orders very large amounts of gloves. He has loads of clothes and related items. He has loads of new-in-the-box maintenance shelters...made from magnesium. These units are really nice and extremely light weight. He wants 4k for a brand new with a canvas w/10 yr guarantee. Not sure who's giving the guarantee though lol.

Oh, with respect to the "find" on the starter lock...that was the excellent investigative work of rdixiemiller! I found it a real pleasure to interact with the group, as I learned a considerable amount about these vehicles. rdixiemiller, my son and I drove together, while clinto, rmgill and rmgill's pal drove together. I think that rdixiemiller must have been tired of my questions about engines, turbo's maintenance, painting, welding, etc etc etc. I was like a lil kid in a toy shop "daddy, can i have one of theseeeeee" hehe

Armada

Great pics. One of those ignition switch locks came on my duece and I think Chuck (ida34) has one on his too. Our trucks came from the same unit.

alphadeltaromeo

dog...holla if you're going to come this direction. we'll put ya up and feed you real good :) bring the missus too and she can yack with my wifey and play with the chillins as well.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had a great time yesterday; Rmgill, RDM & ADR are great guys, lot of fun to hang out with and very knowledgeable. I look forward to the next time we can all get together.

alphadeltaromeo

Armada said:
Great pics. One of those ignition switch locks came on my duece and I think Chuck (ida34) has one on his too. Our trucks came from the same unit.
Curious, was it similar or the same? Just wondering whether these are from the same fabricator. Seems very easy to fab up.