• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trouble Running

tx.fireman1525

Im having some problems keeping my duece running. It takes a long time to fire up and you have to pump the crap out of the pedel to get it going. Then if you do get it going you have to keep on the pedel, or it will die. It wont idel. Does this sound like a dirty filter, or maybe somthing more serious?

ironhorsethegeneral

You need to check all fuel filters and make sure they are clean. Then make sure primary fuel pump in tank is working properly. You can hear pump when master switch is turned on. This is just the simple stuff to check. If truck has been sitting for some time lines may have algae in them and filters may be blocked also from this. Hope this helps.

MVtrucker

With the accessory switch turned on, open the bleeder on top of the secondary and final filters to see if you're getting a good fuel supply. You won't be able to hear the pump over the low air buzzer, so either unplug it or hold your ear against the fuel tank. Pumping the throttle on a diesel doesn't accomplish anything as far as giving a squirt of fuel like a carburetor does.

Monster Man

tx.fireman1525 said:
Im having some problems keeping my duece running. It takes a long time to fire up and you have to pump the crap out of the pedel to get it going. Then if you do get it going you have to keep on the pedel, or it will die. It wont idel. Does this sound like a dirty filter, or maybe somthing more serious?

DNAG JOE! beat me to it again :deal: anyway, consider my advice secondary:
next time the truck is cold, disconnect the low air warning buzzer, under the dash on the center of the firewall. Then turn on the accessory and check the pump. YOu can start your truck without it, but it is VERY difficult.

Also, you shouldn't ever pump the pedal trying to start a multifuel. It can lead to hydrostatic lock, KA-THUD! :nono: Give it maybe one squirt, if everything is right you shouldn't even need to do that, mine starts up halfway through the first turn, every time (except below 20 degrees)

Check the fuel filters of course, there are three, and bleed each one as you check it (with pump on, loosen fitting until no air comes out, only fuel)

Also, don't neglect the air filter. What color is the smoke when you start it?

It's also very important, especially in cold weather, to make sure you're getting full cranking speed. Check your batteries witha load tester to see if you have a shorted cell or anything.

As a test, try holding the accelerator pedal halfway down to see if it starts, if so it indicates it's too rich, in which case I'd check your air filter

Monster Man

tx.fireman1525 said:
where are all the filters located at?
one is under the frame, looking at the front of the truck, it's to your left, so, on the right side of the truck, the other two are in series on the left side of the engine block. They're real tall, can't miss 'em