• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck recommendations/advice thread - M916/M920?

donbecker

Hi,

We're looking at a large raw land purchase in the next year or so, and have two primary needs:

1. Hauling large amounts of stone from local quarry
2. Moving large amount of stuff to the new homestead

For the gravel end of things, initially I started looking at tandem dump trucks, with an eye towards reducing our gravel costs by sourcing direct from the quarry. Eventually selling the truck if we stopped using it. We would likely use it for hauling topsoil as needed.

For the actual move, when we moved to our present location we had the largest Penske rental truck, and it was likely overlimit. We also had a dozen or so of the Uhaul Pods, which were not waterproof, overlimit and we had to deal with Uhaul moving and delivering them, which was a complete hassle.

So this time around, I've been looking at the 20ft shipping containers. Estimating $1500-2000 per container, and I've seen trailers that can haul them for around $6k. They'd be waterproof, we would have no rush to unload them (since we own them) and should be able to sell them and their trailer pretty easy when we're done.

Considering all the above, I've started looking at the M916/M920 trucks.

With the rear winch, I'd be able to use that to pull the shipping containers up on the trailer.

I'm currently researching if I can find a dumptruck sized end dump semi trailer that can handle gravel.

I'd prefer to get one semi truck and use for both tasks instead of getting two trucks. I think budget wise this means I could get one better condition truck than two that need more work/attention.

A third use case would be hauling some smaller excavation equipment around, in a non-commercial capacity.

I spoke with Progressive's Commerical side and for an M931, non-commercial I'd be $84/mo for insurance. I'd be going to get my Class A then, instead of the Class B I planned for the dumptruck.

Does anyone here have experience with the M916/M920 trucks that could share their thoughts?

Eager to hear if anyone feels I've overlooked something.

Going with the M916/M920 I feel could handle any semi-rough terrain on our new land.

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The two models are similar. My experience is with the M920.

An important issue with military trucks in general is their weight which directly affects how much total weight you can legally haul. The M920 weighs in at about 30,000 pounds (an average civilian tractor with sleeper weighs around 18000 pounds; day cabs are less). The M920 has a pony axle which allows for additional weight on the tractor end, but there is the weight penalty in carrying around the extra axle.

My M920 (1980s) had a Caterpillar 7155 air shift manual transmission (I think the M916 has an Allison automatic). The 7155 has quite a learning curve, but once mastered, I found a joy to use. The 7155 can be the subject of a whole different thread.

The M920 also has large (non standard) 24.5 tires. The can carry more weight, but also cost more money.

I recall that the front wheel drive is engaged with an overrunning clutch that kicks in when the drive wheels slip.

The winches are very heavy and likely overkill for your needs.

Also note that the M920 uses an oversized fifth wheel built to use an oversize (again, nonstandard) king pin--also for increased hauling capability especially in rough terrain.

As to M916 specifics, I'm sure someone will be able to opine. Hope that helps.

donbecker

An important issue with military trucks in general is their weight which directly affects how much total weight you can legally haul. The M920 weighs in at about 30,000 pounds (an average civilian tractor with sleeper weighs around 18000 pounds; day cabs are less). The M920 has a pony axle which allows for additional weight on the tractor end, but there is the weight penalty in carrying around the extra axle.

My M920 (1980s) had a Caterpillar 7155 air shift manual transmission (I think the M916 has an Allison automatic). The 7155 has quite a learning curve, but once mastered, I found a joy to use. The 7155 can be the subject of a whole different thread.

The M920 also has large (non standard) 24.5 tires. The can carry more weight, but also cost more money.

I recall that the front wheel drive is engaged with an overrunning clutch that kicks in when the drive wheels slip.

Also note that the M920 uses an oversized fifth wheel built to use an oversize (again, nonstandard) king pin--also for increased hauling capability especially in rough terrain.

Thanks John!

I had the oversized kingpin noted, haven't started researching yet how I'd deal with that.

I have a 2013 F350 but once I started running calculations for the 20ft shipping containers loaded, decided it really wasn't feasible.

Agreed that I'd be unlikely to max out the winch weight. A 20ft container max cargo is 67000lbs but we'll be likely under that on several containers.

I started looking at the M931/M932's but they don't have the rear winch and I'm not sure how much of an ordeal it would be to add one.

Along those same lines, an M916 would probably be just fine (wouldn't need an M920) but a quick look of the market and it appears that maybe M920's are similar or lower prices, maybe they are not as well known as an M916.

Let me know if you have any information on the 5th wheel changes I'd need to make.

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say the M920 prices reflect the practical considerations that I enumerated.

On our M920, we fitted a used commercial 5th wheel. I don't recall that we had to do any special modifications. If you have access to a civilian truck, just take some comparison measurements. You can also look up size information online.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider that the newest 916 or 920 is 44 years old. For what you intend to do, look into something newer, like a 916A1. A MUCH better truck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

920 transfer case is an air lock type. Not a slip clutch.

Winch platforms only weigh only 1400lbs not heavy.

916s and 920s use 11R24 tube type tires which you can't hardly find and any civilian 24.5 wheel makes tires much cheaper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks