• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck starts but wont shut off

FM5332FF

I have used the search and cant find anything on the subject, I have also looked in the TM and have found nothing, My truck starts fine but will not shutoff unless you pull the emergency shut off. What could this be from? The truck is a M813A1 with the NHC 250.

FM5332FF

no the 5 tons shut off using a switch, it is not the same as a deuce where you pull the handle to shut it off.

Last edited:

hklvette

correct me if i'm wrong, but the only way to shut down a non-electronic diesel is to pull the fuel-stop. At least that's how it is on every non-electronic diesel I've ever used.

edit: Oh...perhaps the solenoid is stuck open?

jasonjc

NOPE FM5332FF is right that is an emergency shut off, If he is talking about the "T"handle on the dash.

It sounds like the bypass screw on the fuel shut off vale is truned in. You will need to trun it back out. But it may be bad so if the truck does not start after you trun the screw the vale is bad. Or it is not getting power when it should. Do some checking befor you spend the $$. One of my trucks had the wires on the back of the start switch wrong and would not let it get any fuel after starting. But it would get fuel when cranking. hope this helps.

from what I have learned it the M813 shuts off when you turn the start switch to STOP position. you should't have to pull the emergency stop lever. your solenoid may be stuck or it might just be a problem of a loose wire behind the switch. or even just a loose connection. Pull the switch off and check the wiring. that's all I can ad :nothingfunny:[thumbzup]

area52

Follow the cable attached to the "emergency stop" handle you are pulling. It goes to a valve on the fuel line above the IP. Directly above that valve is a solenoid that has a small knob on top.

That is the normal shut down, when you flip the switch on the dash, it "de-energizes " that solenoid to shut off fuel and stop the engine. The knob is to push it in in case the batteries are dead and you need to pull start it. Make sure the knob is unscrewed.

jwaller

are you sure the emergency bypass screw is not open.? it is a thumb screw on the IP so you can crank the truck if the elec solenoid valve wont open.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All covered in the TMs!

FM5332FF

Well I got the truck home, and I found out what the problem is, well pete found out what the problem was but I figured out the part numbers. The solenoid is bad. where the wire connects to the solenoid it is broken.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead do you know which TM it is covered in, I downloaded all of them and looked...

The first place I know it is covered is, in TM 9-2320-260-10.

Towing vehicle to tow start.

Paragraph 2-20, page 2-86

I think it's also covered in the somewhere in the troubleshooting stuff also.