• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trucking for Kids Convoy (Maine)

Katahdin

Hey guys, I drove my 109 in the Maine Trucking for Kids Convoy yesterday and it was a lot of fun. The rally benefits Camp Sunshine and D.A.R.E programs, Camp Sunshine is a retreat for families who have children with life threatening illnesses. This year there were about 70 trucks and the event raised more the $16,000.

The event is held every September at Scarborough Downs, near Cabelas. At noon all the trucks are fired up and parade at 25mph, with air horns blaring, along a 9.5 mile route around the Maine Mall area. (See map)

The only problem I saw was that I was the only MV! The event is open to all trucks so I'm posting this here to drum up some interest for next year. Here's a link to the the event's web page.

The kids (and other drivers) really enjoyed seeing the MV. I was even approached by a deaf teenager, who through sign language (and his Mom as an interpreter), asked me questions about my M109, how much it weighed, how MVs get towed, etc, I even showed him my towbar! Of course I let him climb in and get behind the wheel. I think it was a fascinating experience for both he and I.

Attachments

Katahdin

Big Red

Thanks! My truck has been a slow 2-year work-in-progress but I'm gaining!

The Monster Fire Truck is "Big Red." Its a 1937 International Harvester Fire Truck that was originally used by the Danville, Kentucky Fire Department. I believe it sits on military 5-ton axles. I don't know who built it up, but it was bought by a local Maine construction firm at a Florida auction for $26K. They run the truck as a charity tool for Camp Sunshine and in local parades, I imagine its a fun tax write-off for them. Big Red actually led this convoy.

Here's the homepage for Big Red.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks