• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

True m109a3?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a M35 for Gearspec last week from Ft. Jackson. When I was rolling off base, I looked over to a field full of trucks and trailers, and spotted an M109A3, literally. the chasis was modifided A3, with the M109 box.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen one, and if it was an M109 to begin with or they only did M35s and this one wound up with a box somehow.

Sorry I don't have pics, I was shifting, stearing, stareing, and drooling, so I didn't have time (or hands) to grab the camera. ;-)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FERRO, are you asking if there was ever an M44A3 in the M109 configuration? If so, the answer is yes. I've seen a couple M109A4s (the M35A3s designation for the shop van is an A4). Kind of rare, though. I'd like to get my hands on one.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that's what I was asking. Thank you!

Not sure if it is coming up for disposal, it is in a lot with M813 and M35A2 and M35A3...

Interesting. I wonder how many they converted?

I was just asking because I've never seen one or heard of one.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GIJOECZAR as one of the M36A3s. David Doyle told me there were not many made. I seem to remember that he said there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 or so.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a call about that shop van when it rolled into the DRMO lot at Ft. Jackson from a fellow that works on the base. it will be up for sale sometime in the next couple of months.

SEAFIRE

sorry to be off-topic, but since it was mentioned how rare the M36A3 is...

Some website has a few M36A3's for sale at a gulf coast state right now, they are listed as M36A2's, but the pictures and descriptions show A3 modifications, engines, etc.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks