• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TrueTrac Differential..

LT67

Anyone run a Truetrac limited slip in a Dana 60 in the front? Just curious how it performed through mud and other slippery stuff...

While a TrueTrac is not cheap, it's still less $$ than a selectable locker in the front. Just wanting something more than an open diff in the front dana 60 on my 86 M1008. Down here in Ga, unless there's a drought you're going to go through some red clay mud.

Reactions: 98G

Skinny

I had a True Trac in a Dana 30 in the front of an XJ and the rear of a Toyota 8".

I was very happy with the performance of it. Sure...if you are rockcrawling and lifting tires there is no substitute for a locker.

If you keep both tires on the ground you would be hard to feel a difference from a gear drive LSD like a True Trac to a spool/Detroit/selectable when applying power.

The TT is very smooth in the road and almost invisible. Only time you feel it compared to an open diff is on snow/ice. It will spin both wheels so it tends to step the truck out easier but no different then running anything else.

It is gear based so torque is your friend. If it slips then hold the brake and push the skinny pedal down. It will lockup again. Just like brake biasing on the H1 trucks.

I remember climbing a pretty steep driveway in the snow with the Toyota in 2wd. Just held it to the floor and it roosted both wheels all the way up.

I would say of your application doesn't call for a full locker or you budget doesn't, I'd only go with a TT then.

I prefer it over a clutch style diff as well. My M1031 has some odd handling with the Dana clutch LSD when the hubs are locked in on the road. My XJ never had that feeling and it had the TT up front all the time, it was invisible. I think that is because the clutch style has pressure internally all the time with the clutch pack and the gear LSD has nothing until you apply torque to it. That is my guess.

Hope that helps.

LT67

I had a True Trac in a Dana 30 in the front of an XJ and the rear of a Toyota 8".

I was very happy with the performance of it. Sure...if you are rockcrawling and lifting tires there is no substitute for a locker.

If you keep both tires on the ground you would be hard to feel a difference from a gear drive LSD like a True Trac to a spool/Detroit/selectable when applying power.

The TT is very smooth in the road and almost invisible. Only time you feel it compared to an open diff is on snow/ice. It will spin both wheels so it tends to step the truck out easier but no different then running anything else.

It is gear based so torque is your friend. If it slips then hold the brake and push the skinny pedal down. It will lockup again. Just like brake biasing on the H1 trucks.

I remember climbing a pretty steep driveway in the snow with the Toyota in 2wd. Just held it to the floor and it roosted both wheels all the way up.

I would say of your application doesn't call for a full locker or you budget doesn't, I'd only go with a TT then.

I prefer it over a clutch style diff as well. My M1031 has some odd handling with the Dana clutch LSD when the hubs are locked in on the road. My XJ never had that feeling and it had the TT up front all the time, it was invisible. I think that is because the clutch style has pressure internally all the time with the clutch pack and the gear LSD has nothing until you apply torque to it. That is my guess.

Hope that helps.
Thx.. I don't foresee doing any rock crawling with a stock suspension M1008 lol. Down here in Ga we rarely ever get snow, so not much of a concern. If it ices up, I'm staying at the house...

I do go over rocks, but nothing too big. Down here in Ga there's no shortage of inclines with rocks, red clay mud or both. It gets a lil slick trying to navigate that stuff...

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1028 has a limited slip (not a truetrac) in the front axle. I don't ever see mud here in the desert but it sure makes a difference in the soft sand once the tires begin to spin. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance.

LT67

My 1028 has a limited slip (not a truetrac) in the front axle. I don't ever see mud here in the desert but it sure makes a difference in the soft sand once the tires begin to spin. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance.
I'll take the red clay mud instead of sand lol

Now south Ga does have sand, but I'm in the NW part of the state where it's all red clay dirt and rocks. We get the slightest bit of rain and it gets slicker than owl 💩 lol

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll take the red clay mud instead of sand lol

Now south Ga does have sand, but I'm in the NW part of the state where it's all red clay dirt and rocks. We get the slightest bit of rain and it gets slicker than owl 💩 lol
You get about as much traction on that red clay
as pulling a greased string out of a billy-goat's butt

Keith_J

The Dana clutch style LSD in the front of my M 1031 did fantastic during our last ice storm. Due to ice, I missed a turn so I back tracked through an industrial park..where I had to climb a rather steep snow covered driveway. 4H was like on cogs, including the turn back onto my intended course.

Yes, it feels a bit different with the front axle locked but it isn't hard to get used to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks