• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Try not to laugh but !

Buck Wampum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there has been a lot of good advice given here regarding trying to procure a V-100. As was pointed out, there are about 20-25 privately owned and probably 50-60 in museums. Vehicles in the military's possession (e.g. static displays at military bases) are never coming out of their control, but non-government museums are sometimes rotating their collections or willing to sell some pieces to fund acquisitions they really want. Get a call list together of non-governmental museums with V-100's and call them periodically to see if they are considering selling.

If you are considering getting a law enforcement V-100, go online and check the spreadsheet that lists V-100's that are part of the 1033 loan program. You do not want to pay for one of those, as the government never gave permission for them to be sold. IIRC, there are a lot of Cad Gage Peacekeeper armored cars on that list, so I'd avoid those in general.

You also have to decide what your finished project will aspire to be. If you want an authentic-appearing vehicle with a complete turret (in M706 configuration, w/ twin M73's), be prepared for a long slog. Parts that are essentially unobtainable include:
  1. good vision blocks, esp. the frontal one on the turret
  2. correct rubber crash pads that cover inside edges of said vision blocks in the hull locations
  3. correct crash pads on the hull interior surfaces
  4. Turret
  5. M73 guns (or parts kits)
  6. Ammo ready cans (can be fabricated)
  7. Spent brass can (can be fabricated)
  8. Spent brass/link funnel that mounts to mantlet (can be fabricated) and hose that sends spent brass/links to can
  9. Barrel bearings to mount M73 guns to mantlet (would be hard to fabricate)
  10. 19-spline axle shafts and 19-spline Detroit lockers (specific to the V-100 and M34 "Eager Beaver" trucks)
  11. waterproof Braden winch
  12. 10" x 20" V-100 wheels and split rings (these tend to be beat-up from trying to dismount the Commando Special run-flats)
  13. Leaf springs
  14. Steering box
  15. 1st and reverse gears for New Process 5-speed transmission
The most unobtainable part is probably the transfer case, as others have already mentioned.

So, if you can get an empty hull and want to freestyle the powertrain, you can probably do it without worrying about most of the parts listed above. I think taking an empty hull and converting one into an EV would be viable, which would bypass the problem of the unobtainable transfer case.

My advice is to buy the most complete vehicle you can afford. In the long run, it'll be a good investment, as the parts are getting hard to find. When I got my V, I focused on finding one that had most of the parts on the list. Even though mine had two broken Lockers, a destroyed transmission, no brakes and no functioning clutch and rust-filled fuel tanks, it had the hard-to-find parts.

To find one with all the major parts and in running, roadworthy condition, you are looking at about 8-10 vehicles in the US, at least that I'm aware of. They are likely not for sale or would be well above $100K.

Good luck in your hunt, they are out there!

Last edited:

Buck Wampum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll add one more factor to the consideration list: whatever vehicle you are interested in, I STRONGLY advise you to try and drive that particular style of vehicle LONG BEFORE you decide to buy. Try to find a friend or acquaintance who has the vehicle you are interested in, and go sit in it at the very least. You may find that the ergonomics do not work for you. I was considering a Ferret until I sat in one. The ergonomics didn't work for me. Better yet is getting to drive that vehicle in the setting you intend to use it for, e.g. if you intend to drive it on the street, then you'll want to experience that BEFORE you spend many hours trying to find the vehicle to purchase.

I was able to drive a V-100 in traffic several times before buying one. Had I not done that, I'd have not felt comfortable knowing it was the vehicle for me. I have some friends who do not care for the "1800's stagecoach" style of ride that the V-100 gives you, e.g. you are sitting high, way up front, in nametag defilade. It ain't like riding in a jeep or a deuce.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One might be ahead, just buying a bunch or AR500 plate, a 300A stick-arc, a plasma cutter and go for it.

Build a drivetrain based on deuce or 5-ton parts, decent powerplant, eTc.

Copy the basic look, 99 out of 100 won't know the difference.

It would probably be just as "hard" as a real one...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks