• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to figure out unit markings...

CanonNinja

I have an oldball truck to begin with... one of the early batches of trucks that was later sent through a refurb program and snagged a newer registration number... info from meldog as follows:

Organization: USARMY GARRISON FT IRWIN , CALIFORNIA
Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A2 NSN:2320000771616
Serial Number:12519344 Registration Number:NK0CHR Usage Miles: 20848
Probably used by the rotational units out there at NTC or the engineer department for repair and maintenance on the training area/ranges.

Anyone have an idea of what the unit markings might have been? I'm redoing some things on my truck getting it back up to par with some of the other trucks here, instead of my half-arsed attempt at realism. Thanks!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was for the rotational units, AKA "part of the draw yard", it had a 4 digit number on it, and that was it for bumper #'s..

CanonNinja

emmado22 said:
If it was for the rotational units, AKA "part of the draw yard", it had a 4 digit number on it, and that was it for bumper #'s..

Any idea what that number would be? ie: part of the serial? or just a random number?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a 4 digit #, wasnt random, there was "method to the madness" but I dont remember.. Something like (and Im making this all up, but you get the picture) all deuce and halfs were 40XX, Humvees 51XX, M105 Trailers 10XX, M1 Tanks 11XX and so on...

if you got a draw yard truck, go over it VERY well... You'll be amazed at all the "band aid" fixes on them just to get them to go another few days/miles..... Im talking chewing gum and bailing wire type fixes........... The good news is that it might have a ton of new parts on it also.

The pain of the draw yard turn in is still in my mind from my experiences there...... Those that have been there know EXACTLY what Im talking about.... I remember one of my buddies drawing a M2 Bradley, serial # 00006.... Yep, the 6th one in production.....

CanonNinja

truck's pretty solid, paint still good, frame is clean enough to eat off of, newish steering rack, but someone did a hackjob taking off the cab heater system... other than that, truck's been good to me, Area52 had it before me and I dont think he ever had a problem. Weird thing though, truck has velcro pads all over the thing, hood, sides of the bed, tailgate, etc... almost like it was parked in a field for a few years for electronic target practice.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The velcro pads are for the MILES gear.. Think industrial strength Laser Tag for everything from M16's to M1 Tanks to Helicopters..............

CanonNinja

emmado22 said:
The velcro pads are for the MILES gear.. Think industrial strength Laser Tag for everything from M16's to M1 Tanks to Helicopters..............

that's exactly what I was thinking. Dunno if the truck was driven on these training ops or just a yard ornament in the desert

CanonNinja

emmado22 said:
if it had MILES gear, it was driven around.. No one parks MILES geared trucks in the desert and forgets about them...

Good deal... Doing some research, I could for lack of a better find, mark the truck up in 11th ACR markings and be someone accurate?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks