• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trying to figure out what usmc unit or where truck was

loveyou doe

truck is a 2011 m1114 that struck an ied and took out the motor probably around 2015 or so is what i have gleemed from the fact that the body/ frame and parts looks brand new before it was parted out.it was only painted once since new and had 3 original tires 50% or better tread and 1 80% early 2015 tire i would like to know for sure when it was destroyed or atleast what unit had it to put a unit patch on a in memorium board when i rebuild it

Attachments

Last edited:

mrfarb

It’s possible. I had luck using the “M” number with my 1151, but you have to find the right guy. I got lucky from a friend of a friend kinda thing who could do it, so maybe someone here could look something up. You won’t get info of deployment of the truck or any damage done to it.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
truck is a 2011 m1114 that struck an ied and took out the motor probably around 2015 or so is what i have gleemed from the fact that the body/ frame and parts looks brand new before it was parted out.it was only painted once since new and had 3 original tires 50% or better tread and 1 80% early 2015 tire i would like to know for sure when it was destroyed or atleast what unit had it to put a unit patch on a in memorium board when i rebuild it
The Marine Corps doesn’t do much identifying of units. The numbers appear to be the truck’s bureau number or BuNo. Every vehicle, fixed wing and rotor wing aircraft have a BuNo. There’s possibly information on the bumpers. If they’re original, they may have identified the unit. If painted over, use very fine sandpaper over the whole bumper and any unit markings can be identified. The sanding must be done lightly or else any markings will be lost. Occasionally, there’s information on the dashboard, on the inside of the door or glove box.
Good luck.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can find the UIC, it will be an M followed by five numbers, I can likely tell you what unit it belonged to.

On Humvees, the UIC is usually somewhere along the sides in front of or below the doors, and sometimes on the back.

In the photo, M11400 is 1st CEB (combat engineers) on Camp Pendleton

Cheers

dscf3825b.jpg

spankybear

You could get lucky and find a picture of your truck in service. Below is my truck... In service and Auction pictures. It had marking of 3/5 on the hood and a blue circle . The 3/5 is the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines ... with all of the sand from Camp Pendleton ...

Attachments

mrfarb

That’s cool. My 1151a1 slant back was with 2/11 Marines Fox Battery. It would be so cool to find a photo of it in service, priceless!

Was the same UIC on all of the unit vehicles? I found this pic on the 2/11 Facebook page. I have to assume yes.

Attachments

Last edited:

loveyou doe

Can you post pictures of the ied damage?
the ied took out the engine & transmission pan bent the floor/toe armor on pass side and destroyed both front tires bullet strikes penetrated driver armor and driver rear quarter

Attachments

loveyou doe

they took the side armor doors top and windshields tailgate radios dog house ac units pass side dash and both drive shafts 3 calipers 1 rotor head lights and evry light cover seats seatbelt retractors mirrors the engine but left all the front interior armor the firewall armor yet disassembled every thing they could to steal the stainless bolts the guy i got it from kept the trans t case trashed radiator and maybe some of the other parts but i gave $2000 for it with on road title

loveyou doe

Not seeing any battle damage in photos.
there was shrapnel still embedded in the body in the transmission pan and in bent lower floor armor and tires.when i was working for contractors i had to fix ied damage several times its an ied probly a heat sensitive one

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck was not IED’d and rebuilt, that’s not something they do to rolling stock items like Hmmwv’s and trucks, Aircraft and Ships are repaired when economically feasible.
A truck that’s damaged in county is scrapped…not returned to CONUS.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s possible. I had luck using the “M” number with my 1151, but you have to find the right guy. I got lucky from a friend of a friend kinda thing who could do it, so maybe someone here could look something up. You won’t get info of deployment of the truck or any damage done to it.
The M number is the assigned unit number…on Hmmwv’s it’s on the rockers and tailgate, the problem is on the armored trucks is the Rocker armor is removed during Demil.

spankybear

The M number is the assigned unit number…on Hmmwv’s it’s on the rockers and tailgate, the problem is on the armored trucks is the Rocker armor is removed during Demil.
They also paint the M numbers on the hood. However the auction place is now painting over all of the markings...

spankybear

Wet sand probably can revive the markings.
My pictured truck above has all of the markings and the hood was clear. Below is the UIC on the hood. I was just noting that the truck coming out now have the numbers painted over. And yes you can sand to show them. I even used scotch brite to revival.

Attachments

spankybear

What's my baby's back story?

Did she come from a good home or was she out in the streets of Fallujah running with the riffraff? 😉
You need to find the M number not the truck number. If you are a fisherman then any story is possible...

spankybear

Speaking of UIC numbers... is there a list of some sort? Or is this just tribal knowledge. I know the "M" is for the USMC... that about it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks