• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo install, but no pyro port?!

kapnklug

Installing a GM-3 turbo on my '86 M1009 using salvaged parts from a 93 K3500 6.5 TD. Problem is, there are no ports on the intake or exhaust manifolds at all for installing the boost and pyrometer senders. I don't mind drilling and tapping the aluminum intake, but i'm not gonna drill and tap that cast iron exhaust manifold. I'm thinking of mounting the pyrometer in the crossover pipe close to the driver's exhaust manifold, by welding on a double-female pipe fitting over a hole drilled into the pipe. Anyone else encounter this problem?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why wouldn't you drill and tap the manifold? I'll admit I'm not too familiar with the GM diesels but I've never seen an engine where this would be a problem. You really need the probe to be installed pre-turbo to get an accurate reading.

ODdave

The correct place to put the pyro is in the manifold just before the turbo. You have to drill and tap it , anything else is a waste of time and money!