• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo or no Turbo

Billy Bobbed

I want to install a pyrometer ,would you drill with or without tubo on.Need to know if its worth the risk if the tubo is on.Is there going to be a lot of shavings geting in the turbo.

DieselBob

I never have pulled a turbo when drilling manifold. I'm no expert but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Select :-D I have done 6~7 different installs on different vehicles. Almost all of the shavings will feed out the bit. You can put some grease on the bit if you want, to help any chips from going in the manifold. Remember you are on the hot side so anything that does fall in the manifold/turbo will blow out the exhaust as soon as you start the engine. Just my 2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard of people drilling and tapping with the engine running to keep the shavings blown out. I wonder how easy that would be though due to the fumes and the heat.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard of people drilling and tapping with the engine running to keep the shavings blown out. I wonder how easy that would be though due to the fumes and the heat.
And vibration. Maybe not for the pilot hole, but for the larger tap drill?

Rick

bgekky3

It takes only a few minutes to drop the turbo. You do not have to take it all the way out. Just drop it down and put a piece of cardboard over the hole when you drill the hole. Then clean it out and put it back together. A few minutes of my time is not worth the risk to me.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been done, but the big question is:

Is it worth the risk of cycling metal bits through your turbo and ruining it when they get caught between the blades and the jets, to avoid the dirty little job of removing it, stufing a rag into the manifold, and then drilling and tapping the hole?

I did not think the time saved was worth the risk of the expense and more time consumed, and I took care of it when the manifold was off to replace a manifold gasket.

mudguppy

if the engine is running, the shavings go right out through it. i wonder if anyone even knows someone who personally ruined a turbo seal doing this. my bet is not. :roll:
  1. start your pilot hole
  2. once the pilot hole is a good way into the manifold, stop and start the engine
  3. finish your pilot hole - you'll know when you break through because all of the metal shavings will fly into your face (so wear eye protection!!!)
  4. stop engine, change to final size bit (if you are using stepped bit sizes)
  5. start engine, repeat process until final size hole reached
  6. stop engine, align and start tap in hole
  7. start engine, tap hole - continue to enjoy metal shaving blown into your face
  8. stop engine, thread in thermocouple probe
  9. done.
after you see how much of the shavings get blown out of the hole with an idling engine, you'll wonder (like i do) if even a single shaving goes through the turbo. i doubt hardly any do.

i, too, have done this many times. though, if i had to do it on another deuce, i'd actually do it on a hot engine: reason is that a cold multifuel engine produces some tear-jerking fumes when it's cold. it's a lot less irritating hot and easy to access w/out burning your hands (using gloves).

i disagree - pulling the turbo is not easy - there are many things that could make this task a chore versus the 10 minutes it takes to drill/tap w/ it on the engine.

:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks