• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Rebuild

aboonski

I just received a used take-off 'C' turbo today and it looks as though it was taken off for a good reason! There's a lot of play in the shaft - I just went through the compressor side with my finger and found this out. I just want to know if there is a place that I can send this unit to and have it rebuilt or have the bearing replaced. The fins do turn freely and I cannot see any other defects thus far. It would be interesting to know how much acceptable play is normal in a 'C' or 'D' turbo - also, if the parts are interchangeable such as the guts of the unit from the 'C' to the 'D' or visa versa. Once I have replaced the 'D' with the 'C' turbo, are there any adjustments that have to be made with the fuel injector pump or the viscosity compensator system? Seems like more air would be forced into the combustion chambers with the 'C' turbo which would probably require a richer mixture of fuel - am I right? I'll bet Kenny Knows! Thanks for any advice at this point. I will not put this other turbo on until I know the skinny on everything. Also, White Owl supplied me with the new turbo gaskets - $18.00 for everything. I am very anxious to install the 'C' turbo on my deuce because all that is missing right now is the sound! Al Broadbent

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
aboonski,
If the fins have made contact with either housing, it's most likely no good. That will throw off the balance. Did you check with White Owl to see if they have a kit for the turbo. If they don't, maybe Memphis Equipment.

aboonski

Will! Thanks for the info! I just looked at the fins on both sides and neither have been in contact with the housing. The fins on the exhaust side appear to have some corrosion but not serious. I'll call White Owl to see if they have parts - they sure helped me with the turbo gaskets! I'll see if I have any tech manuals that relate to taking the unit apart. It doesn't look too complicated but I don't want to damage the internal moving parts during the operation. Al Broadbent

FreightTrain

Banned
If the wheel touched then the turbo is trash.It can be fixed but once they touch you gotta replace teh housing,wheel and bearings.Usually if one touches both touch and everything has to be replaced.You can't just take a new wheel and slap it on a turbo.It has to be Balanced.At 100,000RPM even a tinny chip in the tip of a turbine blade will be enough to scatter the turbo.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the D seems to make more boost for me and is much more responsive. 14 psi at only 950f on a long hill and plenty of power. the test is to load the shaft to the side while you turn it and see if you hear or feel it touching. with used turbos as cheap as they are, i doubt it is worth rebuilding.

Jones

If the housings are untouched then the cartridge (center section) can be repaced as cheaply as the bearing and seal set since there's a little more to it than just dis-assembly and re-assembly. End play is practically non-existant but side play is there to allow for expansion. The run-out specs should be available from a turbo shop if they aren't in the engine TMs in the library.

aboonski

Water Damage to the compressor side of the unit

Well people, I just took part of the turbo down to see what I had and it looks as though I now have a static display 'C' turbo due to severe water damage to the turbine blades and interior of the compressor side of this unit. I bought this from a seller in Live Oak Florida going by the Ebay Store name of Green Gem Army Surplus Depot. The description of the item was very brief and vague so I guess I got what I paid for! I haven't left feedback just yet but will do so once I contact the seller to see what they have to say. I imagine I could obtain a new turbine, new bearings and whatever else would be needed to overhaul this thing and make the best of a bad purchase. I always like to take things apart and make repairs to complicated mechanical contraptions so now I can get some experience with the inner workings of a diesel turbo! I still have to take the other side of the unit apart to see what the exhaust turbine looks like but in any event it does look expensive to fix at this point. Any suggestions? By the way, thanks to all of you who responded to my post. I am learning as I go along! Al Broadbent

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Water Damage to the compressor side of the unit

yeah, they sold me a broken plastic battery box and said too bad.............. many things on evilbay are buyer beware

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Al, sorry I'm late and sorry I've still not been up to see you. Let Green Gem know, he will send you another turbo. I've still got this other "C" turbo here with your name on it.

aboonski

KENNY!!!!! I was hoping you would get in on this! I hadn't heard from you in a while so I went ahead and bought that thing off of Ebay that needs a total rebuild including intense beadblasting! I wrote to Green Gem about the situation and still waiting to hear back from them. I am just glad that I tore this thing down before bolting it onto my truck! Back when i was a teenager, this thing would have been installed an hour after it was unwrapped! I heard from another guy named Ken who offered to rebuild the unit I have and he does this for a living. At this point I am trying to figure out which way to go! I misplaced your phone number but mine is area code 321 427-3070 if you want to call me about the C turbo that you have. I was also looking at your post about some trade you are trying to make - is this for a dump truck by chance? There's a guy in Vero Beach that has one of them. Alan

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Al, just so you know, some pitting is acceptable. Take some close ups. Easier and cheaper than taking it to a shop only to find out it's junk.

aboonski

Hi Will,

I have a digital camera that I am just breaking in and I have to read about deletion of existing images so that I can take new ones. My other digital had the capacity to hold an unlimited number of images and this one needs an upgrade of some sort to hold more memory. Anyway, I hope to be able to place photos of the bad parts on here shortly. It still needs to be bead blasted because of corrosion in several areas. This looks to have been from an engine that sat out in the elements without any cover.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Al, I'll give you a shout tomorrow on my way into work. Matt has more turbos I'd bet but I don't think he knows the difference between the two. As far as the truck, YES I'm looking for a deuce dump truck but not a converted M35A2. I want the M342A2 or the M59. We'll speak more tomorrow, look for a call around 1330 hrs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks