• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Swap

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry, I did search, but my search abilities are pathetic.

Can a "C" and "D" turbo be switched out without modification to connecting plumbing? Same connections, etc?

I have a C and want to swap in a D that I have. I'm not parting with the C, but the truck the C is in, doesn't have a lot of low end oomph, compared to the truck with the D. However, the truck with the D seems to stop providing boost around 2200 RPMs. Therefore it's hard to go much over 50 on the flat. The truck with the C runs really good and can hit 60 with ease, but doesn't seem to have much boost from the turbo. I do have a good sounding whistle though coming from the C. The other trucks I have with D turbos seem to have more boost as well.

Thoughts?

Sarge

Turbo in a non-turbo

I've been meaning to ask this question for some time now.
The reason I did not ask it before is because I was worried that you may think I'm an idiot.
Well, I'm not worried about that any more, after the posts I've made in the last couple of weeks, everybody knows i'm an idiot. The secret is out.
Boy, I sure blather a lot.
Question:
How difficult is it to install a turbo on a non-turbo deuce?
What's involved?
That was two questions, wasn't it?
Darn, now that's three questions.
I'll stop digging now.
-Sarge

MikeON

I swapped from a C to a D turbo. The C would give about 7 psi max, and the D gave about 8 before turning up the fuel. I noticed that the D seemed to start providing boost at a lower RPM.

I installed a pyro and turned up the fuel and now get about 12 psi.

It was a direct swap - took about an hour.

Mike

FreightTrain

Banned
Quite easy to install a turbo Sarge.Just remove ALL the exhaust system except the actual manifold(remove the iron elbow below it.More than likely will have to crack the nuts cause mine were rusted on).Cut a larger hole in the fender per the blue print supplied in the kits.Remove the big pipe plug at the bottom of the block and a smaller one infront of the oil pressure regulator/bypass thingy.Remove the slobber tube.Remove the intake elbow and flame heater,Reinstall the new elbow with old flame heater stuff,install the turbo,Plumb it,install intake pipe and boots,Cut out a chunk of inner fender at the back where it turns up and connect to cab,run exhaust,reset the timing and DRIVE!

you will need 3 things.Turbo(Duhh),Clean air kit(exhaust piping parts,and turbo install kit(oil lines,gaskets,intake elbow,gaskets,and a few other extra parts that you won't use on a deuce).

dlawbrey

I spent a little while this evening swapping from a D to a C. Just like that whistle. Took about an hour to do and things went almost too smooth so I just expected something had to be wrong. Fired it up and once again I was wrong,works just liked it is supposed to.

Banshee365

When I bought my deuce it was a N/A and I installed a C-turbo with a clean air kit. I drove it for over a year before I reset the timing. The truck runs just fine that way but if u'r going to be towing alot or driving the truck very hard I would reset the timing. To do this you'll need to pull the radiator and such. It's a good time to replace some hoses and belts. I don't pull alot with mine but when I had the radiator out last to have some leaks soldered up I set the timing somewhere between the N/A and turbo settings. Couldn't tell any differance in how the truck ran. Definetly runs alot better with the turbo though, and smokes much less.

-Kelly

Jakob

I don't plan on doing much towing at all and I'll have a pyrometer installed before a turbo goes in. As long as I keep an eye on the EGT, it'll be fine?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
ecostruction said:
However, the truck with the D seems to stop providing boost around 2200 RPMs. Therefore it's hard to go much over 50 on the flat. The truck with the C runs really good and can hit 60 with ease, but doesn't seem to have much boost from the turbo. I do have a good sounding whistle though coming from the C. The other trucks I have with D turbos seem to have more boost as well.

Thoughts?
how new are the fuel filters on the truck that drops off at 2200?

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR said:
ecostruction said:
However, the truck with the D seems to stop providing boost around 2200 RPMs. Therefore it's hard to go much over 50 on the flat. The truck with the C runs really good and can hit 60 with ease, but doesn't seem to have much boost from the turbo. I do have a good sounding whistle though coming from the C. The other trucks I have with D turbos seem to have more boost as well.

Thoughts?
how new are the fuel filters on the truck that drops off at 2200?
Good question. I inspected when purchsed and they looked "ok" but I never replaced them. Soooo, what you are telling me is that there is no sort of "rev limiter" that could have been added? Or would be normal for a truck with a "D" turbo?

I can punch the "D" in 4 at 1500 RPMs and it pulls strong. I can't do that with the "C". But again, once the "D" hits 2200 RPMs it looses the "boost". It'll keep going beyond 2200 RPMs, just not with much of a boost.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The D will provide more CFM. But not much more PSI. It has a larger compressor wheel and will provide more airflow at much lower turbine RPM. But if you need more power. Increrase the fuel rate. You won't believe it's the same truck.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking about the fuel rate. But, I have no idea how to do that. I'm mechanical, but not very knowledgeable.

ironhorsethegeneral

We have 2 trucks. 1 with winch and 1 without. The 1 with winch was in the shop getting some engine work done and 1 of the things being replaced was the turbo. Originally it came with a C. When I bought it it came with a D. It was replaced with another D turbo. The truck did not hbave the same power as it did before. I adjusted the fuel compensator for more fuel. Now the truck runs really good. I calll it my sports car of trucks. On this site somewhere there is a picture and info on how to adjust the fuel compensator. I am not sure where it is though. It is not a hard thing to do. You only do it in small increments so that you do not overdo it.