• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo waste gate conversion to adjustable

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogman
I completed the adjustable conversion like yours. On my approx 1k mile 1152. It's better for opening but still opens some during regular flat driving at low speeds.
Have slowly been tightening it up. Now it's close to your pic. Question is do these wastegates normally open and close at lower speeds on flat surfaces.
Going to tighten up another 2 or 3 flats today.
Thx
Dave
I would suggest at least temporarily installing a boost gauge, I have never driven my truck with the doghouse off so I cannot advise on when it opens up.
You do not want to boost more than about 10-12 psi and on this turbo never over 13-14Psi, at about 15PSI it will surge and that can over speed the turbo and burn the bushings out.

Dave2018

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest at least temporarily installing a boost gauge, I have never driven my truck with the doghouse off so I cannot advise on when it opens up.
You do not want to boost more than about 10-12 psi and on this turbo never over 13-14Psi, at about 15PSI it will surge and that can over speed the turbo and burn the bushings out.
When mine opens up you can tell right away. And when it closes shut it gets much quieter. Runs very nicely. My doghouse is always on.
I guess it's time for a boost gauge.

Dang...my low mile truck in more work than my 50k mile 998 for sure.
Thx
Dave

Thanks
Dave

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When mine opens up you can tell right away. And when it closes shut it gets much quieter. Runs very nicely. My doghouse is always on.
I guess it's time for a boost gauge.

Dang...my low mile truck in more work than my 50k mile 998 for sure.
Thx
Dave

Thanks
Dave
That does not sound right, I cannot hear my waste gate opening, are you sure you are not hearing the fan kick in and out?
EDIT, that would explain why you are hearing it under normal driving "flat" conditions, the waste gate only opens under heavy load.

Last edited:

Dave2018

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That does not sound right, I cannot hear my waste gate opening, are you sure you are not hearing the fan kick in and out?
EDIT, that would explain why you are hearing it under normal driving "flat" conditions, the waste gate only opens under heavy load.
That sounds logical. I may sense a little power drop or could be nothing. The sound is very noticable. The fan on my 998 would be nothing compared to this sound.

Does yours have a loud fan noise. When the noise is off the truck is super quiet. With it on it isn't.

Maybe putting this kit in pic on tommorow. Hope the crossover will have top clearance to clear to remove.

Thx again.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds logical. I may sense a little power drop or could be nothing. The sound is very noticable. The fan on my 998 would be nothing compared to this sound.

Does yours have a loud fan noise. When the noise is off the truck is super quiet. With it on it isn't.

Maybe putting this kit in pic on tommorow. Hope the crossover will have top clearance to clear to remove.

Thx again.
The ECV (I assume that is what you have) has a lower gear ratio so the engine is running at a higher RPM for any given speed so I would expect it to make more noise.
My turbo diesel has a 6 speed 6L80 transmission with a double overdrive and the 2.56 gears so the fan is not very noticeable as I am only turning about 2250 RPM at 75 MPH

Dave2018

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ECV (I assume that is what you have) has a lower gear ratio so the engine is running at a higher RPM for any given speed so I would expect it to make more noise.
My turbo diesel has a 6 speed 6L80 transmission with a double overdrive and the 2.56 gears so the fan is not very noticeable as I am only turning about 2250 RPM at 75 MPH
Nice rpms for 75. Probably keep my stock 1152A1 about 65. Hitting about 2500 rmps at 55 or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks