• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo... what do I need

jag7720

There is a guy parting out a '94 6.5 turbo and I'd like to try to get the turbo and put it on my '85 M1009.

Can I use this turbo for my '85 6.2? Or is there a better year to look for?

Can anyone tell me or give me a list of all the parts that I will need to take from the '94 6.5?

Are these turbos "computer" controlled? if so, was there a year that the turbo was not?

Thanks

mangus580

You will need both upper and lower intakes, turbo, exhaust manifolds

Being a 94, you will need to replace the vacuum wastegate with a spring version, such as found at www.heathdiesel.com

You will probably want to upgrade the crossover pipe and will have to make a custom exhaust to fit your truck.

you are going to have to figure out a way to return turbo oil to the oil pan, as well as engineer a hose to pick up oil from the engine.

You can probably find most your info at www.dieselplace.com as to exactly what you will need.

VERY viable project.

jag7720

he wants $300 for
IP
lines
injectors
intake manifold
exhaust manifolds
crossover
and anything else to do with the Turbo?

is this thing computer driven? What is the PMD?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PMD is on the injection pump, you don't need it. Get all the stuff Mike mentioned. I'd grab both exhaust manifolds just in case. Oil supply can be sourced from the a tee installed at the oil pressure sending unit. You can also switch to an electric fuel pump and feed return oil back through the mechanical fuel pump boss via a blockoff plate. Very doable for sure. BTW, I just won a turbo 6.5 on GL with a center mount turbo like on a HMMWV. Looks to be pretty nice.

CCATLETT1984

you only need the passenger side exhaust manifold.

for the oil feed, there is a port above the oil filter that you tap, I'll see if my Banks instructions state what size the fitting is.
for oil return, you can pull the fuel lift pump off and make a fitting on the plate behind it.

CCATLETT1984

Kenny that center mount turbo might be a really tight fit under the hood of the cucv. I guess we need to measure to be certain, but at the very least the big resistor bank would have to be relocated for a center-mount turbo.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crossover flows exhaust from one bank to the other bank to help spin the turbo. You would create a huge imbalance if you had one bank driving a turbo and the other one doing nothing.

mangus580

jag7720 said:
What is the point of a crossover pipe if the turbo is mounted to the right exhaust mani?
You still need to get the exhaust from the drivers side to the passengers side!

Honestly... get both exhaust manifolds. That way you can be sure that a 6.5 crossover will work.

jag7720

so, does ALL the exhaust go thru the turbo like on a Mercedes?

Left side crosses over to the right side and then mix together and through the turbo then out the back?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks