• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbos are stupid

rizzo

I am going to take mine off and use DEI instead.

http://www.gmmodernmuscle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2779&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

from GM Modern Muscle:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:50 pm Post subject: Turbo Questions Reply with quote
First off, Jay, stay out of this.

Ok. I didn't want to mention it but I was thinking about turbo charging my Vette. I got to thinking about it and how in efficient even turbos are (compressor efficiencies of about 80% at best).

Since a turbo's function is to pressurize incoming air and force it into the upper motor, and turbos are driven by high pressure exhaust gas created from the combustion process, couldn't I just bypass the turbo altogether and route my headers back into the throttle bodies?

Since I have CFI, I could balance the DEI (direct exhaust injection as I just coined it) by feeding one header into each throttle body. Yes, the charge air wouldn’t be that cold, but it would be under a hell of a lot more pressure.

I attached a quick sketch below:

There are still a few things I need to work out:
1) How do I get the CFI aircleaner to fit in a way that hides this plumbing?
2) Does anyone make a V-band clamp that will bolt an exhaust header to a CFI throttle body?
3) What pinion angle should I use in my rear-end? I’m sure there will be a noticeable difference in torque output.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
rofl

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Turbos are stupid

A perpetual engine! No exhaust! Would this help stop global-warming and greenhouse gases, too? And all this time, such a simple answer was right under our noses!

I might need some deuce parts off of the prototype truck.

fat lady sings

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

I think he might need to put a catalitic convertor between the exhaust manifold and the intake. :D

Jake0147

You know rizzo, before you eliminate the fresh air intake, maybe you should look into opening the heads up so all this exhaust can flow better into the intake. Hold the engine at high idle and slowly pour a bag of black beauty down there, before you know it the intake ports will be big and smooth as can be. And if you're going to bolt that much horsepower on with your DEI setup, make sure that afterwards you drain the oil down a couple of quarts and add a coffee can full of BBs to the oil filler tube, so on the first startup you can shot peen everything down there for extended fatigue resistance. [thumbzup]

JDToumanian

That's hilarious! Seems that some of his fellow posters didn't get the joke, though...

...Thanks to the moderators here for keeping this site from being like that. Sometimes I've felt that moderating actions have been heavy handed and the cuss-filter is set too high, but seeing something like that makes me really appreciate the way this site is run...

Jon

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Rizzo, for letting the cat out of the bag! I've been doing the DEI thing for a while now and I was trying to keep it a secret! Now everyone will know! aua
Gotta love that SSDD avatar! Thanks Mods for a clean and decent site. [thumbzup]

beaubeau

Hey Rizzo! sounds good, but no Cigar!! Better way is to use an Air Pump Forced air to TBI!, but be sure to Enrich the Fuel, Or Burnt Valves!!!LOL Phil. I love this Group!!

ida34

Now you need one of those electric fan superchargers in line in the pipe and that thing would scream.

cbvet

Geez Rizzo,
Your idea looks great for summer driving, but during the winter I suspect you have your exhaust piped-in to defrost the windshield?
Are you sure?
Eric
CBVET

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
You would need to mount your pyrometer in each header and ensure that the liquid oxigen injectors are added just in front of the critical omission in the drawing the ledgendary muffler bering

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks