• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turn signal wont flash

deathschariot

Ok I've searched for a few days on here trying to see what my problem might be but I cant seem to find anything. My logic might be off. Anyway I just bought this 86 blazer from the sheriffs dept.(they told me it was ex military). They sold it to me because they could not get the lights to work at all. I got it home and did a little research found out that the "service lights" switch just had to be up, now all the lights come on just fine except the turn signal wont flash to the left or right it will come on but its just a steady light no flash. I noticed the flashers were not in the fuse box, so I went and purchased what napa told me I needed with no luck. The indication light works for the left side but not the right. Figured that is a ground problem because the right indicator does come on with the hazards but the lights still wont flash.

Have I just completely over looked something? or Is there a thread I missed?

any help would be greatly appreciated....

deathschariot

Barrman

What county are you in? Look in the link at the top of the page that says resources. Find your way to the technical manuals. The -20 manual for the CUCV walks you through several hundred pages of diagnostics. Check all the bulbs in the blinker system for working. GM vehicles used to not flash if one was burned out.

niferous

If you tried a new flasher and it didn't work try replacing the bulbs like Barrman said. I'm on the West Side of Houston if you need any help. Also what year did you ask for when you purchased the flashers? I'm pretty certain they didn't change from '84 to '86 but if they did and you got one for an '86 they probably won't work. All the CUCVs were built to '84 specs regardless of what year they were manufactured in.

deathschariot

For some reason the resources link is not working for me and I live in Angelina county. Napa gave me a 12v flasher (for an 86) is that right? Is it supposed to be a 24v like the system? and if the lights all light up would I still try replacing them?

Thanks for the help

niferous

I would just go online and check to see if they are the same. Just search for one for an 84 and then for an 86. Make sure the part numbers are the same. I'm betting they are but just to be safe.

What you really want to do is get some lectra clean and a steel bruch and clean the connections. As long as you have the bulbs out I would replace them. No telling how old they are and as long as you have them out they are cheap so might as well replace them.

rlwm211

Wiring diagrams

The light system is 12 volt so the 24/12 volt issue is a non-Issue.

It would appear that you have a short to ground on your turn signal system. When the flasher circuit encounters a short, the flasher stays on, or off depending on the type of flasher. Being stuck is the problem and the side without the indicator is probably the one with a short.

Check and see if the previous owners have cobbled a trailer light plug onto the truck.
I have chased down a lot of electrical problems in these chevys and the turn signal wiring is a likely culprit if there is one on your truck.

The CUCV manuals have full schematics and are a great resource to have for your CUCV.

Here is a link to the correct TM for the cucv and your diagram is on page 965. Right click the link and select "save as" and save a copy onto your computer.

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=10

RL

burbn10

Check your bulb sockets on the passenger side. They run them through an area that has some sharp sheet metal. Mine rubbed through over there and did similar things. I also had a bad socket on the front righthand turn signal/marker light. Good luck!

K9Vic

I hope that the sheriff department sold it to you a year after they got it from Texas Facilities Commission, or they violated GSA regulations selling you surplus military equipment. Not your fault, but they have to wait a year before they can sell federal surplus property. Did you get a blue Texas title, or a SF97?

Anyways, it is pretty funny that all it was is the "Service lights" switch that they did not have up to activate the lights. Maybe they should have called the rep at TFC to see what may have been the problem.

Barrman

You need a regular 12V flasher for a 1984 Blazer. That 24V flasher you put in is never going to work. Swap that out and then start chasing grounds and shorts. A real good idea is to pull every fuse individually, clean the contacts and then move onto the next one. Those fuse panels are really nasty after 25 years of windows down crud.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, several things.

The CUCV's (most Chevy trucks of this vintage) use the electrical resistance between the DASHBOARD BULBS into some of the circuits. DO ALL YOUR NIGHT TIME DASHBOARD LIGHTS WORK? Do both Gen 1 & Gen 2 lights come on? Does the 4WD light and the oil light both come on? How about the 'Wait' and the 'Water in Fuel' light? Plus any other bulbs you find.

Also check the ground wire up under the dash on the drivers side. MAKE SURE you have a good clean ground there.

Plus ALL THE OTHER STUFF listed above. Remove/clean/replace every bulb, fuse, etc that you can. Stop after changing something. THEN CHECK to see if that resolved it. Nothing worse than replacing ALL the bulbs and then not know EXACTLY what resolved your problem.

I love my CUCV's. And being ABLE to chase down an electrical problem? Never fun, but ALWAYS educational.

Let us know how it comes out.

deathschariot

Im assuming that the fuses are supposed to be staggered like this (judging from the wiring diagram):

Fuse on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And are these supposed to illuminate? because the do not.
Blackout1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have checked all of the grounds and cleaned them. And replaced all of the bulbs, although there was only one that was out. now the indicator light in the gauge cluster lights up, and all lights illuminate, but still no flashing just a steady beam.

Also, every light in the gauge cluster comes on except for GEN 2.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Fool with the turn signal lever and see if it will work somewhere in between off and on. If so, you will have to pull the steering wheel and lock plate off and clean and grease the components a bit.

deathschariot

Ok I know it's been a while but I work nights so not much free time. Anyway I figured out what was wrong with my flashers....I was starting to take the fuse box off to give it a good scrub down when I bumbed the turn signal on and didnt know it. It was about 15 secounds later that i realized the back of my fuse box was smoking!! So I pulled it off and behind each flasher was a resister jumped between the two wires! I cut those out and bam! works fine haha It was the same kind of resister that was keeping my horn from working but it all works great!

Thanks for all the help! I will post some pictures up soon.

whyme

blinker fluid is probably low. had the same thing happen, was a pain to find any but the helpful young kid at auto zone said he could order it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks