• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turning up pump does it help starting

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but "poor" fuel is not the problem and turning it up is little cure if yours is a bad starting engine. Even cold it should come to life after just a few turns cranking. Check for operative lift pump, correct timing and also condition of starter and batteries.

G.

houdel

gringeltaube said:
.... turning it (fuel) up is little cure if yours is a bad starting engine. Even cold it should come to life after just a few turns cranking.
I have to disagree. If the fuel is turned too low it will affect starting. My truck was always a good runner, a little underpowered, and often hard to start. I cranked up the fuel 1/3 turn (two flats of the adjusting nut) and it was like a new truck. More power and started in a flash. Eventually I installed a pyro and found my EGTs were still well below recommended max. My fuel rate must have been turned way down to start with.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i don't see how it could, the pump goes to full fuel when not turning so that starting gets max amount. there are many factors in play like injectors, ip head worn, timing, cranking speed which is very important, fuel supply not leaking down, etc.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
houdel said:
.....My truck was always a good runner, a little underpowered, and often hard to start.......
15 years ago that was my case too, with my first (Toele) rebuilt LDS 427-2 Multifuel powering an old M35. When cold it always took relatively long, fast cranking (over 5 seconds) to start firing. At that time I didn't know much about those engines, even thought it was normal for them...!
One day I decided to "play" a little bit with the timing, to try different settings, just little by little at a time. Can't tell exactly what and how many degrees it was but from the very next day on that MF was a pleasure to start, literally jumping to life. It has been that way ever since! And I would say that THAT is normal for our Multifuels!

G.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We bought a 5 ton tractor that would not start and idle right. We turned up the fuel and the problem went away.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks