• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turret Bubble for Expo camper orr?

coachgeo

Turret Bubble option

Some of the older Fire Unimogs had a Turret hole in Hardcab like the FMTV family as well. But with a plastic bubble* then again also smaller. From what I read it was to help co-pilot see above the smoke.
s-l1600.jpg
Might be an novel idea for Expo camper builds or various other reasons. I'de say two. Second one painted and removable that sits above the clear one..... sorta a cap to protect the clear one when not in use. These days it might not be that hard to find in Lexan cause they are so common on playground equipment.

http://www.playgroundequipment.com/bubble-panel/ Granted this particular one might be too tall for some folk though. Would make cab about 12'4" tall

s-l1600.jpg

* Sorry tried real hard but can't find a pic of a "real" 404 Firemog that had the bubble. Will keep looking

Last edited:

coachgeo

to avoid going off in tangent; cut out this info and put into another thread...... Mod you can delete this post.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Thought you overland offroad guys put a luggage rack and some flood lights on the roof.
sometimes...... utilizing what is already built in is smartest. Overall though it matters ones plans for Expeditioning; be it Overlanding on "track/trail" or the more popular Offroad RVing on Forrest etc. "roads". One that wants to be more of an Overlanding rig where you get into tree limbs etc. more often... no storage there if your cab is already pretty tall and the FMTV's are tall. Whereas the more popular Offroad RVing yeah that's common.

This bubble or hatch idea though; as done in the past, may be good for those in here building county Forrest Service fire trucks.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A vacuum thermoforming company shouldn't have a hard time making a lexan dome. You could also make a heater large enough to do it yourself too (I had a 4'x4' one, but had to disassemble it).

BuiltMFG

I just put .5" smoked acrylic on mine. Turned out nice. The only issue was that it really needed to be 49" and the sheet size is 48xwhatever... only gave me about a half inch tolerance around the edge.
IMG_5554.jpgIMG_5552 2.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks