• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two stupid questions.. Things on the hood and how to dissolve CARC from a bolt?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the brackets on the top of the hood and the spring loaded latches for?
I have one fastener for the sides on my 923A2 I cannot break free. It looks like they carced over the threads. I tried even using a sledge hammer after numerous applications of PB blaster, cannot budge it, Can't take it apart obviously, what can I use to dissolve the carc inside it and on the threads?

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The hood brackets hold the windshield when it is folded down. Maybe it is just rusted tight try dousing it with wd40 let it sit for a bit and see if you can put a piece of pipe on the handle and crank it.

jw4x4

Mine were all ganked up when I got it. Here is what I did to get them working freely- Mix equal parts of acetone and auto transmission fluid in a metal squirt lube can. Apply to the threads and let it soak. Overnight if they are real bad. The solution will remove the corrosion and CARC over spray and the threads will work perfectly. Worked like a charm for me.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hood brackets hold the windshield when it is folded down. Maybe it is just rusted tight try dousing it with wd40 let it sit for a bit and see if you can put a piece of pipe on the handle and crank it.
Already tried Pb Blaster and a sledge hammer.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine were all ganked up when I got it. Here is what I did to get them working freely- Mix equal parts of acetone and auto transmission fluid in a metal squirt lube can. Apply to the threads and let it soak. Overnight if they are real bad. The solution will remove the corrosion and CARC over spray and the threads will work perfectly. Worked like a charm for me.
I will try that. Thanks! Kinda weird it's only one out of four of them. The rest are paint free.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have been using acetone and ATF 50/50 mix around my place since I learned about it. Like JW says, let it soak. Heck if you aren't going to work on it for a few days soak and let it set the whole time.

KsM715

There's two of them smart%&^ ;) and they're on my 5 ton as well as the deuce. I'm going with M925's answer.
Both answers are correct. They hold the windshield down when its folded and you should have a rod with a loop on the end bolted to the cowl right in front of the drivers windshield. When you raise the hood you take that rod and hook it to the spring latch on the hood to keep it from knocking you out on a breezy day.

jw4x4

The spring loaded latch on the left side of the hood is to secure the hood back in the raised position. Crack open the -10 again Patriot. :p
He is talking about a 939 series truck. The hood tilts forward. When in the open position, the hood is secured with the bar which is latched to a bracket on the front bumper. The only latches on the hood are the ones on top to secure the windshield when it's lowered. The spring loaded hood latches are mounted to the front fenders.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait! A 939 opens to the front? No wonder I couldn't get yours open Thursday......

;-)

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the threads have been painted down in the recess, I would look for a real agressive paintstripper and try to get it down into the threads. Look for methylene chloride (a chlorinated hydrocarbon) in the ingredient list, and don't get the stuff on you or it will pickle your gizzard.

KsM715

He is talking about a 939 series truck. The hood tilts forward. When in the open position, the hood is secured with the bar which is latched to a bracket on the front bumper. The only latches on the hood are the ones on top to secure the windshield when it's lowered. The spring loaded hood latches are mounted to the front fenders.
:doh: Missed that part.

steelandcanvas

There's two of them smart%&^ ;) and they're on my 5 ton as well as the deuce. I'm going with M925's answer.
My bad, maybe I should have been clearer with my answer. The spring loaded latches have a dual purpose on the 800 Series, windshield retention and hood retention. 900 series obviously only one purpose, windshield retention. I may have saved you a few broken ribs, should you ever be under the hood on a 800 Series truck.