• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

u-Bolts

Rebelpride

I plan to lift my M1008, but I didnt buy a kit I came out cheaper buying it seperate. Question is do I reuse my stock front spring u-bolts or do I buy new ones if so where.

grounded

Banned
buy new ones. always better off.

you can get a set of new U-bolts made up for about $40-60 (each axle) just hit up your local big rig shop and they will make them there on the spot for ya. Just let them know what you need. Width, length, round top or square top, and thickness and they will get ya squared away

AJMBLAZER

I had to have a local autoparts place that specialized in heavier stuff make me a u bolt for the front. The two on the driver's side were no problem, NAPA had those. The one on the passenger side was a PITA as no one had the right width. After a lot of searching I found the guys that made me one. Their price wasn't bad at all.

Croatan_Kid

I can get brand new front u-bolt sets from Superlift for 47 bucks all day long :-D

They're 5/8ths diamter, even the stock ones. Plus, when you but new ones they come with new studs for the diff housing too. You pretty much have to use new ones anyway, the stock leafs packs only have two leaves, aftermarket ones are 4 or 5 usually, much thicker.

Elwenil

Always replace leaf spring U-bolts. They stretch to fit and can fail if reused. The nuts are one use only also. NAPA carries a good selection but I have run into a few that I couldn't find. For the oddball large one for my front D60 I went to these guys and they got me fixed up very well:

http://www.stengelbros.com/

Westech

CPL
for the 10 bolt is 5/8 inch thick x 3 inch curve x 7.5 inch long (that's 3 of them) and the 5/8 thick X 3.5 inch curve and 9 inch long. That's for stock. if you have thicker springs or add a leafs you will want longer ones.

aboonski

I want to lift my M1008 too so that I can use my H1 rims and tires on the truck. Lots of work in the process besides lift blocks and U-bolts I hear; longer brakes lines and a special Pitman arm is required. I just wonder about the cost of the lift just in the parts alone and possibly a link to previous posts about the subject. The stock wheels and tires are just worthless when it comes to sand and expecially mud like I was exposed to during an outing in Suburban Estates, Holopaw Florida! I even uploaded a few videos of this very popular off-road area that is open to "land owners only". My friend Lavarok (Ian) had to rescue me from the mud and this would not have been the case with wider and taller tires!

Elwenil

Don't forget that you are going to need spacers to run the HMMWV rims. You are also going to have to swap to 8 lug axles or use a spacer/adaptor.

AJMBLAZER

westech, the OP is talking about a M1008. No 10 bolts there.

Elwenil, aboonski is talking about on his M1008. 8 lug axles. You are correct about the backspacing issues though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks