• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U-joint phasing

jodka

The caption says "Earth borer drive shaft and universal joints." Is it is ok to rotate an earth borer at non-constant speed? If so, then then the phasing as pictured would be correct.

- Allen

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect that if little or no flexing is involved, the phasing is less important.

The drive shaft on the xm757 from the transmission to the transfer case is phased incorrectly and must have been so for years.

A formula showing vibrations as a function of the angle can probably easily be found.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Matt.
It's kind of like building a house and living in it before it's finished....you get used to the unfinished parts and the house never gets finished.
I'm trying not to jump ahead and start driving the thing before it's finished, so I keep it on blocks...he he he.

SierraHotel

I will have to check this weekend, but as I recall, the ends of the U-joints between the transmission and transfer case are slightly rectangular, making it so that you cannot get them out of phase. Kind of threw me at first because they look square. I never considered phasing. Thanks Bjorn..!

jodka

With reference to the above plot: it still seems that while pulsing the drive wheels through an incorrectly phased ujoint pair would vibrate the entire truck, pulsing an earth borer through an "incorrectly" phased ujoint pair might be harmless, and thus any phasing for that particular application would not in fact be incorrect.

- Allen

rizzo

I had to take the inter axle shaft apart on my M108 and the splines have one larger spline so that it can only be put together the one way

FSBruva

rizzo-

Is it the correct way? Just curious how widespread the military's "phasing" issues extend - saw three pictures in a 5-ton parts manual that demonstrated incorrect phasing. I think it was the -34P?

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks