• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U joints (you...joint)

snowyrivers

Hey troops

Getting a good start gathering gear boxes for the CREW CAB CRUSADE (C C C)

Got an HD TH400 and a nice DIVORCED NP205

Working on the design to get all this stuff crammed in the frame ahead of the 6x T case.

The 205 has the standard 1310 u joints and the plan is to upfit to the 1410 at the input and output yokes.

The shorty shaft that came between the old dual range unit and the T case is far larger to handle the torque when down in the "BUSINESS GEARS"

What is the the standard joint on the shorty.

In snooping around I get conflicting answers.

Looks like a 1710

Thanks guys

snowyrivers

Could not find any info, so tore the center shaft apart and measured the joints.

Seems to be a 1500 series joint at 4.5625 across the joint.

May be able to adapt a flange'd output on the 205 to work with the center shaft that is in the rig.

Will need a flange with a spline'd stub to fit in the center shaft slipper

Lots of digging and measuring on this step so we don't end up with the connector shaft between the 205 and the 6x case becoming a FUSE

USMC 00-08

I too would like to know what u-joints are used in that. I just replaced all the u-joints on the drivelines and Moog 330 was a perfect fit.

gentrysgarage

My Recepie

Here is the recipe I am following in my truck, adapt at will,
Eaton FSO- 6406A got
Ford F700 (2000+ ish) Eaton trans parking brake STILL LOOKING (hint hint)
Deuce 1/2 NOS slip jackshaft 1480 joint (between tranny and tcase) won on ebay yesterday
31/32 spline 1480 companion flange going to order once I have jacksahft
Ford NP 205 divorced got
1410 output yokes got
M135 axles with 1410 yokes waiting for word back nothing concrete yet...
The 1410 are readily available for the Ford spline count and I think the fine spline Chevy (not sure on this)
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

snowyrivers

The short shaft between the T case and the tranny on the 135/211 has a slipper on the front facing yoke where it enters the rear of the gear reduction unit.

The slipper will allow for small flexing between the trans and T case under load and will allow the assembly to be removed from the truck for service.

The sections must be unbolted, then the section that faces forward is slid into the tranny, followed by the insertion of the center section between the first section and the T case.

Once the sections are in place the bolts are fitted, lock nuts installed and the joints mating flange registers aligned and the assembly tightened.

Very simple way to keep the drive train as short as possible and still have some movement.

The joints in the shorty center shaft are a 1500 series joint

Spicer 5-115X

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

Here is the recipe I am following in my truck, adapt at will,
Eaton FSO- 6406A got
Deuce 1/2 NOS slip jackshaft 1480 joint (between tranny and tcase) won on ebay yesterday
31/32 spline 1480 companion flange going to order once I have jacksahft
Ford NP 205 divorced got
1410 output yokes got
M135 axles with 1410 yokes waiting for word back nothing concrete yet...
The 1410 are readily available for the Ford spline count and I think the fine spline Chevy (not sure on this)
Hope this helps!
Here is my REVISED recipe

Eaton FSO- 6406A got
not doing this will go with a NP200/202 drum or aftermarket disc for the NP-205
Deuce 1/2 NOS slip jackshaft 1480 joint (between tranny and tcase) won on ebay yesterday Changed this to a M35A3 jackshaft
31/32 spline 1480 companion flange going to order once I have jacksahft Northern Drivetrain NTD-00105
Spicer 4-2-759 Female and 4-2-679 Male Yoke Flanges
Ford NP 205 divorced got
1410 output yoke for rear got