• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unable to remove broken glow plug tip !

MAZ537

Hello,

I have just two swollen glow plugs to my 08 (drivers side rear ones).
I am trying to remove them and I broke the one...
I bought the correct socket and I remove the injector but , seems that there is not enough space to pull it out from the injector hole as it feels like snug.Maybe this cylinder is in TDC or this does not matter ?

Thanks for ANY help!

Last edited:

cucvrus

Get a curved nose needle nose pliers or a curved needle nose vise grip. I already had to take the inner fender apron out to get in there good. But it beat changing the head gaskets. I spent a whole day getting 2 out of the back on the passengers side and 2 on the back on the drivers side. I removed both inner fenders to do it but it was done. The customer had a push button and held the button to long and it swelled them up. I hope that helps. The good thing is they are still in the pre-chamber. So you have some recourse to get it out. Good luck. Let us know.

MAZ537

Get a curved nose needle nose pliers or a curved needle nose vise grip. I already had to take the inner fender apron out to get in there good. But it beat changing the head gaskets. I spent a whole day getting 2 out of the back on the passengers side and 2 on the back on the drivers side. I removed both inner fenders to do it but it was done. The customer had a push button and held the button to long and it swelled them up. I hope that helps. The good thing is they are still in the pre-chamber. So you have some recourse to get it out. Good luck. Let us know.
The broken tip is still in one piece stuck in the glow plug hole...The problem is that I am trying to gently push it out with a punch but no luck yet...Feels like stuck...I am not sure if I have to hit it real hard ?Thanks for the tip I will try to remove the inner fender apron.

Attachments

joshuak

The problem is that I am trying to gently push it out with a punch but no luck yet...Feels like stuck...I am not sure if I have to hit it real hard ?
My humble 2cents,

I had to bang a swollen glow plug tip back into the pre combustion chamber (stuck in glow plug entrance) and pull it out through the injector port.
I covered the hole from the P.C. chamber to the cylinder to avoid debris from entering, put a punch on it and banged away. Had to hit harder than I would have liked to I might add, just make sure your punch is on the swollen tip and not on the threads, don't want to bugger them up.

Also try the search function here on SS, many, many helpful threads. For example post #7 of this thread suggests "firing the engine with it loose".
That's another option, stay clear of the engine bay when trying this though. There are some more good suggestions in that thread along with the excellent ones you have already received.

My nemesis at the time.
IMG_0381.jpg

Be careful and good luck! :grd:

Last edited:

cucvrus

Good Luck. Positive thoughts and attitude. Always works for me. I deal with naysayers on a weekly basis. Resilient to them at this point. It can be done. Dirty four letter word. WORK.

Last edited:

MAZ537

Totally agree : if you start to fix something do it right once.
Every one of these trucks has its own history and deserves at least our love : mine for example spent some years of service to US and then shipped in Germany
I never had a good old USA military truck before and I am very proud I now have one.
Here is a picture of it still at the yard.
Still in original CARC paint with its markings

Attachments

cucvrus

You are lucky. That does not have CARC paint on it. That is just standard flat factory paint. I do not think they had developed CARC when these trucks were build. The down side is that the original paint allowed moisture thru the finish. As you can see you have rust under the paint. It is repairable and will require a lot of sanding. I use 80 grit and sand it down to the rust then sand it some more getting all the rust off. I prime it and sand it smooth and seal and paint the entire truck. That is the down side. The good thing is you can see what you have to work with. Many CARC paint jobs are covering a lot of poor body work. I am working on a project right now that they laid the filler into dents in doors and quarter panels that could have been pounded out and 1/4 of the filler used. Oh well if you don't like it these are not the vehicles for you. They have been molested and cut and hacked by everyone and anyone. Getting them back and running good is the real challenge. You at least have a clean piece of canvas to begin with. The end result of the portrait is up to you. Good luck and take your time. It only improves with age.

MAZ537

Good to hear that is not carc painted!
My plan is finish all the mechanical/electrical work first (read to make it fully operational) and then a good friend of mine will take care of the bodywork and paint.Looks like it is not used that much...

Attachments

MAZ537

Congratulations!:beer: What method worked for you?
I have to bend the broken tips to a "L" shape with a big flat screwdriver to be able to fish them out with a curved needle nose pliers.Then I clean all the derbis with a shop vac thru the injector and glow plug hole blocked each other to have enough vacuum.Finally I spray a little Kroil to both of them (injector/glow plug) and bolt them first by hand and then correctly torqued...