• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Under Dash Air Leak

tbar123

I have a air leak deep under the dash of my 84' m923 and the best way to find the leak is to pull the instrument cluster. So is there any words of advice before I embark on this journey? I tried to twist and turn my large body to find the leak but that's not happening, So this is going to be the best way to hopefully find it. Since all the rest of the air leaks are from the wiper system.I imagine that this is also the obscure leak, but won't know for sure until I get a good ear in there!!! Thanks for the words of wisdom. One another note; Has anyone found any mushrooms yet? Plan on going out Friday and Saturday!!!!

goldneagle

Try playing with the wiper control knobs and listen for difference in the sound of the leak. Mine was from the wiper control. Replaced the leaking control switch and no more leak.

tbar123

Goldeneagle; I did take a piece of hose, one end to the ear and the other fishing for hissing sounds and ran that around both ends of the wiper control valves ( the best I could) and didn't come up with anything.
Porkysplace; I made look at least:mrgreen:....LOL I will do better in the future, I would edit the title, but I don't think that I can!

plode

Mine leak too. Looking for a solution other then replacing with the same type of valve. I will never again pull the instrument cluster out. A royal PITA.

tbar123

Thanks for the heads up plode; For the wiper motor themselves, I was thinking about small ball valves to shut them down manually when not in use, but I really need to fix that leak under the dash. I suppose I won't be looking forward to this!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the title so the next guy with a problem and the motivation to search can find it.

plode

This is exactly what I wanted to do, but finding ball valves small enough for the air lines will be a challenge. Likely will have to use a bigger valve with reducers in both ends.

goldneagle

This is exactly what I wanted to do, but finding ball valves small enough for the air lines will be a challenge. Likely will have to use a bigger valve with reducers in both ends.
They make 1/4" ball valves. I used them for my RO water system. I think I got them at Lowes.

SsgtFoster

My 923 had the wiper leaks that have been mentioned and the aux/trailer air valve leaks from time to time. Might be worth a look. I do agree that the cluster pull is a PITA. Good luck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the park feature?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone looked it up in the parts tm and looked for the nsn?

Perhaps they are readily available or rebuildable.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM lists GK-9.