• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Under Dash Wireing --- Why Not More Accessible

SasquatchSanta

I don't for the life of me understand why something wasn't designed into the dash of the deuce to allow better access to the wireing.

Given that these trucks have been in production for years one would think that over the years some sort of a dash mod would have been implemented somewhere along the line to make it easier for the GIs that had to maintain these trucks .

Granted, the center panel pops out BUT longer speedo and tach cables would have been a plus. It's a shame there isn't more pop-out features on the dash. I personally think the whole dash should pop out.

One would think that maintenance ease (and speed) would be paramount --- especially in combat situations. Accessing the light switch is a real pain.

Is it just me or do others share my opinion?

I cringe at the thought of ever having to re-wire my truck.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I agree that it's a pain to work on anything behind the dash. However, I can't recall ever encountering a vehicle (either military or civilian) where the behind-dash stuff was easily-accessible. Having more pop-out stuff would be nice. I think it would also be nice to have the whole dashboard hinge upwards so that its innards could be groped without needing to climb into the cab upside-down! This kind of approach would be easier if speedometer and tachometer gauges were electrically-driven, rather than needing mechanical cables that don't like going around too many corners.

My 2004 Toyota Tundra has electronic gauges, a drive-by-wire accelerator pedal and so forth. No throttle cables, no tach or speedo shafts, no mechanical HVAC cables, etc. Eliminating every last mechanical cable and flex shaft noticeably cleans up the engine compartment, since those cables like to run in straight lines while electrical wires can be routed pretty much anywhere. Also, now that they can make one computer module to operate everything in the engine, monitor everything that needs to be monitored, directly control the throttle plate, and implement arbitrarily complex fuel/timing control algorithms, the nightmare of plumbing and kludged-on gadgets that have plagued engine compartments for so long is finally gone. One of the things that helped sell me on my truck was looking in my friend's 2003 Tundra's engine compartment, and actually seeing both the engine and the ground instead of a solid mass of hoses.

rsh253

I just re-wired my M35 and working behind the dash on it was a breeze compared to what I've had to work on in the past. I guess it is was you're use to working on. As a previous owner of older MGs and Jaguars with Lucas electical systems, I've spent many an hour working behind their dash boards! The only real problem I had with re-wiring the M35 was trying to get some the electical plugs disconnected and nuts un-done that had probably not been touched in nearly forty years.

-Russ

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's no different than any 60's-70 car dash, except more room. Like other things in life, there are many positions to try.
standing in the door
standing on a stool leaning into the doorway
lying on the seat, head up under the dash, feet in the air
lying on the seat, diagonally
lying on the floor upside down
lying on the floor right side up

No sweat!!

Green_gator

Just a little extra cable length would help a lot in my opinion. Of course I have an occassional problem with a touch of vertigo when I lie down flat with my feet above my head. Nothing like trying to work and stop the spinning at the same time.