• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unforseen problem...shor trips

bpj911

I did not really think about this until today when driving the truck. I don't drive very far really. Work is 6 miles away. That is basically as far as I ever have to go. The things doesn't even get to full operating temp in that distance with weather below 25 degrees. I think this is a pretty good reason to hold onto my m37... It warms up faster. I also would assume that the short trips are somewhat undesirable due to condensation, etc. How can I make it warm up faster? I have already completely covered the radiator and it will get to 200 and stay there if you run it down the highway. It will cool to 160 even with the radiator covered if you are just tooling around town.

buccaneer

I have been thinking about the same problem,... and one solution I've thought of but not tried yet is to run some gasoline mixed with the diesel. I think gasoline will burn hotter but not sure if that will work for our problem... I did discover that if i can get the motor to at least 200 degrees, the power improves significantly.

Perhaps others can chime in with an answer.

BTW I have one with heater and one without and both have the same problem.
The heater is hooked up wrong per my research, but haven't changed it yet...

dburt

Get a block heater, and plug it in at least an hour or so before you drive off. It helps bring the engine coolant closer to operating temp, therefore it gets warmer quicker.

offroaddiesel

i have about the same drive also and i take my civvy pw .i start it up and let it idle for about 15 mins before i leave ,temps have been latly 5- 10 degrees .steve from western maine

PsycoBob

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=14254

That thread has a lot of good ideas- Block heater, radiator cover, electric fan instead of belt-driven, and the fuel-fired coolant heater. The same bits and bobs that make the truck usable in arctic conditions can make it much better at short trips, too. Pre/postlube might be good for those short trips. You'll accumulate a lot of start/stop cycles compared to hours/mileage.

dk8019

I drove a few hundred miles last weekend with the radiator cover on, with a partial open area, and she held 180 constantly during the trip, should it drop to 160F to start with, shouldn't the thermostat hold it near 180F constantly?

196thprober

I've still got a lot to learn; would someone comment on the mixing gas with diesel suggestion above? Would in be a bad thing to mix 50/50, or a lesser amount of gasoline?

Thanks very much, Chuck

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've still got a lot to learn; would someone comment on the mixing gas with diesel suggestion above? Would in be a bad thing to mix 50/50, or a lesser amount of gasoline?

Thanks very much, Chuck
I suspect the person making that suggestion assumed you had a M35A2 with Multifuel, rather than a Dodge M37 with a T245.

Best wishes,
David

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I constantly run a diesel/gasoline mix. Although it doesn't get super cold here, it works fine. I do notice a tad bit of low power if I get too much gas in it when pulling a trailer.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Well first off you shouldn't really drive until the Engine is reading 120 degrees, I cover up about a 50% of my frontal area to achieve this temperature in a timely manner. However, my truck runs cold all the time. Even in 90 degree days and 2-3 hours of driving the truck gets only 170-180degrees tops in Kentucky. I think in the winter you need to get a good thermal blanket for the engine, that will increase the heat in the engine compartment, secondly I would get a blockheater or even just a simple heater to heat the engine before starting. I'm in the process of buying the winter kit it comes with the proper engine covers to maintain internal heat...

That's my idea... Putting Gasoline in the fuel will not do a thing. Gasoline actually has a lower BTU value per specific weight than diesel so actually a mix of diesel and gas delivers less heat than just straight No1 or No2 or even a No1-No2 mix.

Also just run the truck longer distances...

PsycoBob

Ideally, the cooling system would keep the engine at 'operating temperature' under any conditions. If you wanted a modern 'no user intelligence needed' solution, replacing the stock always-on fan with an electric and add louvered vents to completely block the radiator. At work the compressor room for the refrigeration system has a set of thermostat-controlled louvers over the air intake.

Come to think of it, that'd look pretty neat on the front of a deuce. Pneumatic actuator, maybe?