• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unknown year of manufacture - help!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picking up a deuce tomorrow in Chambersburg, I can tell the year for the most part on most data plates, this one is kinda weird.

Truck was made by Reo Motors company, number on the data plate is

NKO2HT0539-15814

acetomatoco

If the frame # is 0539-15814 it certainly is not a REO. American Motors General, or Kaiser Jeep maybe. So many replacement data plates were made when trucks were rebuilt it is tough to figure out sometimes. End user units were known to "make" trucks to replace some which were "lost". Unfortunately, when they are turned in to DRMO the info on the TID becomes gospel, so to speak. If there is a contract # or a rebuild tag on the unit, I would use the date of the contract as the build date, unless you want to research the frame # and have it validated and notarized by a recognized expert in the field. Now you know one of the reasons GL wants you to provide the info for the SF97.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess they replaced the data plate somewhere along the line and used an old Reo data plate. Unfortunately, I am going to have to register it as a Reo-made unit since I have nothing else to go by. I will use the contract date as the year of make.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The truck in question was made in 1972 by AM General. You are obviously counting no one at DMV realizing that by 1972 Reo Motors was gone.

Regards,
David Doyle

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal, David. Will take your info as gospel, and get a repro AMGeneral plate from Rod Shaver, and stamp the correct serial number into it. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks