• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unusual option for light duty cranes

TaylorTradingCo

The military stuff is a sideline for me, sort of a fun hobby I can claim as business. My "real" business deals in a specialized lightweight concrete building material. In that business, I have acquired a good number of small, manually propelled mini-cranes. I have discontinued this model and really want to get rid of them.
A few members who have seen them have suggested that others may be interested in them. You could take the wheels off and bolt them to a bed or mount trailer tires to them for rougher ground work. I have even heard of one guy mounting a towing tongue on one and pulling behind his truck.
These things have a 7'x7' wheelbase and are about 17' long and 6' tall when folded up. When erected the boom is about 14' tall. It has a hook that can travel the length of the boom and a cord that can carry 110v power to the hoist if you are using an electric one. They can swivel 360 degrees. They are designed for about 350#, but that is based on ballast weight. If bolted to a bed it would carry much more.
These cranes have been sitting for many years and need some TLC and paint, but there are hardly any moving parts to them, so it won't take much to get them operational again. The worst part about them are the wheels, they are junk and they are German, so you can't buy replacements locally. However, it would be easy to cut them off and weld on some trailer tire studs in their place pretty cheaply. No hoist or clamp is included.
Let me know if their is any interest in these things. If so, I will put them in the classifieds.
Derek Taylor

Attachments

wdbtchr

What kind of maximum lift capacity do you think they could handle if it was mounted on the front of a 4000# capacity all terrain forklift with a gross weight of 12,000 #s? I'm looking for an 18' lifting height and a weight capacity around 1000 #s. The forks have a max lift of 8', and I'm thinking of some kind of base that would slide on the forks and be secured to the mast.:idea:

TaylorTradingCo

I would have to have $750 for one.

You could take and weld/bolt some rectangular tubing under the frame and slide the forks in it and it should work ok like that. I have seen/made other boom extensions like that before. You would have to have it perfectly level though in order for it to rotate properly, otherwise it would just swing to the lowest point.

I have another model that I have added ballast to and had up to 1000# on it, but it is a good bit heavier duty. It would probably do it if it was attached to forks and didn't rely on the ballast to keep it from tipping. It utilizes a hand operated cable hoist for erection, but once it is up it is pinned and uses a chain to hold the back of the boom to the frame chassis. I am pretty sure the boom could handle 1000#, but the chain that is on it is pretty light duty. You could easily replace the chain with a heavier one and make it strong enough to do the job I think.
These things would be sold "as is" with no warranty or liabilites implied if sold.
Derek Taylor

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks