• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upcoming downtime

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like we will have a downtime hopefully for only 10-15 minutes tonight. Planning on trying to do this at 7:30p EST.

EDIT: Downtime complete!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And there was much rejoicing! :beer:
Yes, yes there was. At least from me. There were a few things that didn't go well this week with the site. The apache issue earlier this week. But also the backup server failed a migration. So I was running without a "safety net" for a couple of days. I was pulling down backups of the database each day. But the problem is the 50gb+ of attachments. I simply couldn't pull them down to my PC here at the house.

I will say this. I've got a small SAN that isn't being used at my personal office. Since the backup server sits idle most of the day, there's going to be some triple replication of data now. I'll have the backup server send over incremental updates each day to that SAN. At least then I can have a physical copy of the data "in my hands" at all times.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There will be another downtime to come. I need to make some database changes. When that will be, I'm uncertain at the moment.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Been able to do all my tweaking with the database live and working. I do have something coming up that I'll be working on when it comes to searches. I'll be shifting the internal search (when you click on the advance search, or search directly inside a forum) to a different method. The main page google search will remain unchanged.

There also was a cleanup script that was causing heavy loads every hour on the 20 min mark. I tweaked a few things with that and I haven't seen the query show up in the slow log again since last night.

Has anyone noticed an improvement of the site in general? From a back end, it seems we're doing better. And when I'm not looking on the back in and using the front end it seems fast. Course when there's 250+ people online clicking/doing things, we'll see slowness.

AZK9

Has anyone noticed an improvement of the site in general? From a back end, it seems we're doing better. And when I'm not looking on the back in and using the front end it seems fast. Course when there's 250+ people online clicking/doing things, we'll see slowness.
Your efforts are much appreciated, Patracy!

To answer your question about improvement... YES! As to speed... without question, things have seemed to me to be MUCH faster! [thumbzup]

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback. Trying to work through some of these queries. The internal searches will still be slow. (No way around that until I replace the search engine) But that can cause slowness to other members on the site when someone does a search like "deuce won't run". (One heavily used word plus common words) I hope to refine that soon.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it seems last week and the week before the site was getting very slow and even timing out responses at my home computer. Everything seems to be operating snappy like one would expect (and thus, take for granted).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks