• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Update-52's are getting closer to being on-and refurb work

MilitaryRestoration

Been working on the wheels and tires once or twice during the week due to fires in the state, interrupting my process, but today was first day off in a long time so set a goal and did almost get all them done. So thought i'd post a few pictures of the progress. Hopefully will have them balanced soon and on by mid aug hence National Show in Portland...

I first pressure washed all the tires and wheels with about 4000 psi taking most everything off ;-) and then I hand sanded the wheels first with 150 grit and then back over it with 100 grit. Vacuumed all the sanding dust off of them and then rewashed them by hand. After they dried I wiped them down with lacquer thinner to get rid of any excess dust and to prep the surface. Then shot them with RustOlem industrial primer and then with 383 carc green. Turned out excellent in my opinion. I also made a stencil from cardboard to keep the paint from getting onto the tires, but still had little over spray. Will just use paint thinner and remove after paint on wheels harden.

What are peoples suggestion for balancing these bad boys? They are going on a M818 that will be on road quite a bit...

Attachments

ida34

I notice a vibration when I tried to drive more than 52 MPH or 53 MPH. It felt like a balance problem. I planned to try to balance the fronts and go from there. I also want to look over my tires real well because it felt like one may be separating. I could do this look over while I balance them. My paperwork with the truck said there were two bad tires. I need options for balancing also.

chevycrew

Always having lifted trucks and big tires, there are a few things to try..

bb's
equal tire balancing power
dyna-beads

But on my own truck, I dont even bother anymore...

Alredneck

Banned
Equal, is the name it is a media type balancer comes in bags you place in the tire and they bust open after awhile if the tire hasnt been mounted yet, or you can get a system that poors it through your valve stem after you take the core out, you are supposed to put lil filters in the cores place but I never have and have never had any problems. Most Semi and big rig tire shops will have it and know how much you need for that size tire. If you plan on doing a bunch get with 55Cameo cause he know how to get buckets of the stuff and do it your self through the valve stem. I have only used the bags then mounted my tires. Stuffs pretty cheap I think Cameo can get it cheaper though. Doesnt hurt to ask right! GOod Luck

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looking Very nice. My eyes must be getting old cause I could not read the tire size is it 1400 20? Are they available on the commercial tire market? Or where did you get yours?

DanMartin

Todd, keep us posted on the balancing stuff...I might be going this same route for my 14.50s on my deuce. If you can work out a deal on getting the materials bulk, be sure to share the love.

M1075

Nice paint job on the wheels. Did you ever consider black wheels?

Do your tires have tubes in them? If so, I'm not sure all of the suggested balancing methods are going to work for you.

MilitaryRestoration

father and i dont like black wheels... just our opinion... we like green with black hubs...makes the oversized hubs stick out better :) And lol never even thought about them having tubes in them without taking apart how can i tell...? because they are a split locking ring style of a rim so my guess is that they do have tubes :-/

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow if I was not on the east coast that would really be sweet sounds like a road trip. Are those the original size wheels that the tires are mounted on? Do you have to lift the M818 to allow them to fit and what about wheel spacing between the duals? Sorry just trying to figure if this is doable on my truck.

From the looks of them they are tube type since the slot is showing the flap

Pappa-G

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Wow if I was not on the east coast that would really be sweet sounds like a road trip. Are those the original size wheels that the tires are mounted on? Do you have to lift the M818 to allow them to fit and what about wheel spacing between the duals? Sorry just trying to figure if this is doable on my truck.

From the looks of them they are tube type since the slot is showing the flap

DITTO :twisted:

MilitaryRestoration

According to my adviser hehe good buddy of mine that does this to his trucks all the time... says that they should just go on no problems but do have a slight rub when turn as sharp as you can. The wheels are m997 wheels and are 20" but thats all that is the same as stock. Should work on any five ton, no mods needed except moving the front mud guards forward a little and I have to remove the rear mud flaps that the soldiers home made, very nice ones may i add... And i wont be running duals with these just super singles

and ya kinda put two and two together today and figured that they are tube'd so no onto finding a way to balance them...

MilitaryRestoration

no pictures so far but got the inside all stripped down and ready to be sanded and also started tearing off the damaged left front fender to put the new one on... Also going to put brand new style marker lights as well... Any one have any ideas why when I hook to a trailer my lights will come on...turn off...come on... and so on...?