• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Update on M1009 restoration 2....

linx310

Here is another update on my M1009 I am restoring.

Last weekend I replaced the crappy GM relay that controls the voltage going to the starter. Thank you doghead for the idea.

This past weekend I worked on replacing my rust floor board.

I traced out the area I want to cut out with a straight edge. I then used a 30 year old Dotco cutting tool my father gave me to cut it out. I quickly realized I should have worn my long sleeve shirt.

If you plan on doing this make sure you have an air hammer to break through the spots welds. I tried to do it by hand with a hammer and chisel. After and hour of that crap and went and bought an air hammer.

Once it was cut out I placed cardboard over the area and traced a pattern from under the vehicle. I then cut the pattern out and traced it onto my replacement floor pan and measured out a bit to proved extra material.

I then cut this pattern out and placed it over the area I cut and traced it again like the cardboard when I had every thing lined up.

After measuring and cutting a few times it fits great.

The rain kept me from cleaning up all the metal and areas I was going to weld.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GREAT START. All yah gotta do is to drill, spot weld, the do a bead around the edges.

Love the pix. THANK YOU FOR THAT. I've got to do the same thing.

The upside is I've literally got an M1009 pan that I'm going to cut good metal out of.

Thanks again. Seeing someone else doing this gives me impetus to start this project.

firecontrol86

Yeah I've got to do this one day too. It's good to see how much of it you did, gives me an idea how much to cut out of mine. I'm not much of a welder though, prob have to enlist some help with that area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks