• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrading a M35A2 wo/w to w/w - anyone done it?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone here gone to the trouble to take a winch-less truck, and install the winch extensions, PTO, winch, bumper, etc. in order to upgrade to the winch variety? Got pics? Just want to see how much of a PITA the whole process is....

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,I did half of it.I installed the extenders and winch.Pretty much simple other than the 300+LBs of winch.Just pull the bumper,Grill,and the lower rockguard/slats on the grill.Install the lower extenders loosely,then put the uppers on the side of the winch also loosely.Set the winch on top of the lower extenders.Put all the bolts in and put the bumper back on.Then the grill.Tightened everything.On the PTO,Install it with one gasket and check gear lash(don't ask,I never got this far).Add gaskets till the gear lash is correct.The PTO shifter attaches to the side of the MasterCylinder I think.Not a hard job.Just a back breaking job.

m35a2cowner

Winch pictures

Here are a few pictures of installing a winch. Sorry about the order. There is a lot to do and I am not quite finished yet. Hardest part is rounding up all the small stuff. Its out there though, I got a lot of stuff at swap meets. Don't make the same mistake I did, only use long bolts where there are sleeves. Otherwise. put short bolts in the top and bottom of the brackets. Turn the grill around so it misses the handle on the winch.

Attachments

Bill W

RE: Your right

Setting the backlash on the pto is the only complicated thing you'll have to do as the idler gear on the pto mates to the counter gear on the tranny since these 2 gears will always be turning you don't want them pressed up to tight as you'll do damage to either or both gears/bearings. Since the tranny on the deuce doesn't have a second pto plate you'll have to adjust the backlash by pulling the plate off the top of the pto. Put on a thick gaskt tighten up the bolts to the tranny stick you fingers up in the pto through the now open cover plate grab the pto idler gear ( make sure its the idler gear ) and rock it back and forth against the counter gear on the tranny, add/subtract gaskets until you can "feel" a slight clicking between the gears and your done. the precise way involves a dial indicator . But this is the way the guy at the driveline shop told me how to do it and I have put pto's on 2 of my fuel trucks and my 37 this way and its been over 10 years and all three are still running fine. A little to loose is better then a little to tight

halftrack

I did several. Its just easier keeping everything bolted together (including the winch, extenders, bumper, etc) and slip it on your frame rails of your truck. However, if you don't have a lift or bobcat or engine hoist, then you must take apart and put on each piece separately. some taping with a mall might be required.

rockman

I did it a couple of summers ago. Pretty straight forward. Lots of bolts to take apart and then the winch is heavy. PArking on an include help with losing transmission oil as you take off the PTO cover. I used ble gasket material plus the paper one. The blue material didnot seal as well as I thought it would. Takes a bit of time but it is doable. The manual are good and clear. Having a second person with a engine hoist is important also.

Always protect the radiatior and the bottom stoneguard stays off.

Bill

m35a2cowner

Stoneguard

The bottom stone guard (expanded metal screen) will fit. Just reverse it so the side brackets point out (keep same up-down orientation ) and put two longer bolts through the top where it bolted onto the upper part. Rockman, if you want a picture I can take one but its a bit dark right now, just let me know.

OD_Coyote

Mine is a work in progress....I have all the hardware but the drive shaft, winch control lever, lever mounting bracket and lever lockout. I still need to go through the winch before I mount it on the truck...One of my many winter projects aua
Here is a pic of my truck

Attachments