• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Navy's CJ-5

Hi All,
I came across an ad here in Italy of an ex-US Navy 1967 Jeep for sale. First of all, it appears to be a CJ-5 and it makes me wonder if the USN ever used CJ 5s. Also, I do not know much about the USN
insignia that indicate what unit a vehicle belonged to.

I would like to buy the Jeep if it is a genuine USN one. Below are the photos:

Cheers!
Anith,
Rome (Italy)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to steel soldiers. First, it's very difficult to read a black/grey font against OD. Please use the default color. Second, your profile said Zimbabwe? But your post says Italy? I see you've been a user here for a while though. Perhaps you've moved over time.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the pictures show military type identification plates , it is highly likely that it is a former US Military vehicle (or someone got some blank dataplates and put all the proper information on it).

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep they did, NCB which these days is NMCB "Naval Mobile Construction Battalion" but don't think there was a 540 there was however a SeaBee Construction Battalion Maintenance Unit "CBMU 540" but it was a WWII unit. Back in the 70's a Seabee unit was stationed on Santo Stefano an island on the north tip of Sardina and they had 2 of them. I don't remember their unit # but they were building the Submarine base we used to have there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would the CJ-5 have a blackout light switch? I know the M38s would.

mutt1966

the data plates are look right see if any one of them say's M606 that would be a civilian version of the CJ-5 for export, better yet good clear shots of the Data Plates would tell the tail

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pictures are from the Italian dealership where the truck is for sale. I don't think they would take anymore pics for us. ;-)

FrankUSMC

We had CJ5s in the Marines, so I am 100% sure the Navy also had them. The Army also used them. It should have the 6 cylinder motor in it. It was an "off the shelve" purchase by the military. They were used on bases as admin vehicles for just about every thing from range control to security. The one pictured has had some extras added to it. The jeeps were just plain Jane stock jeeps. One more small thing, every one I saw in the military had hard tops on them. I never saw one with a soft top like this one, but, a top can be changed very easily.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

FrankUSMC

Forgot to add for Warthog, no, it would not have a military style blackout light switch, as there was no blackout lights on the jeep. It was a civilian jeep painted green or gray, with a data plate. It would also not be a M606 as it was issued to a US unit, I think the M606 jeeps wee issued under the MAP program.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks